ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Asrock Gaming 6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tsuprano2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Asrock Gaming 6
    Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 7:44am
Greetings,
I have a new build using the ASRock X399 Gaming 6 and a Threadripper 1920x and I have a few questions.

1 - Can anyone point me to a good started guide on overclocking?
2 - Has anyone using this setup had problems running games. I know it isn't really a gaming CPU and that isn't my main use for the PC but I seem to get consistent hangs on Ghost Recon and to a somewhat lesser extent on Bard Tale IV. It doesn't seem that a CPU this powerful should struggle but it does hand and often to the point where I need to do a hard reset.

Here are my components -

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor   
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 54.97 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 ATX sTR4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory   
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card   
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case   
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I am running Windows 10 Home and all games are loaded on my secondary drive.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Dcmegacab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcmegacab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 1:08pm
Could just say for one that's not a adequate PSU for your system. You need at least 850 watts for that build. Other than that check the drivers and update them all. I'm building a X399 Taichi TR with the 1920X too. I'm planning on at least a 1000 watt PSU. And that is playing budget bob. It seems to me highly likely that your PSU is the bottleneck. And also just a reminder, make sure you RAM is supported by the mobo. And clock your ram as high as possible while still being stable. Mine will be running at 2933.
Dcmegacab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcmegacab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 1:09pm
Oh and threadrippers are not designed to be air cooled. Get yourself an AIO liquid cooler.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic