ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

So is my ASRock Z97 Extreme9 dead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreySaber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So is my ASRock Z97 Extreme9 dead?
    Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 4:04pm
OK, I think I might be calling for a Warranty replacement or repair on this sucker, though it looks like the help line is closed weekends. (Argh!)

In the meanwhile, I'm posting here hoping someone can tell me something. I can get my PC to power up. It's a build on the ASRock Z97 Extreme9 mobo, and was working well a week ago. Processor is a Intel I7-4790K, and the PSU is a corsair 650watt modular.

I can't get it to turn on. At all. I ran the paperclip test with the PSU, and nothing but a case fan attached. The PSU spins up, and then it's fan turns off but the case fan keeps going, so it seems my PSU is good. (Actually I thought it was bad until I connected the case fan, since the PSU fan stops so I imagine it must be temperature controlled. That said, as the case fan keeps spinning, I think I'm good on the PSU.)

So, That means my next link is the mobo. When connected to the PSU I can't seem to get anything out of it. The lights don't light, nothing. Tried the onboard power on button, wiggled and reseated all contacts except the CPU.

Rather frustrated now, and unsure of what to try. Thoughts anyone?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 4:30pm
Your PSU test proved the 12V rail under very low load works Ok. The 5V and 3.3V rails have not been tested at all. Drawing less than 1 Amp from a 12V rail rated at ~50 Amps is not a tough test.

But the failure to start may be caused by another component having a problem. Like a storage drive, video card, etc. Some power supplies, when sensing a problem on one of the cable connections, will not apply power to that cable, or not start the PSU at all.

Standard trouble shooting would call for trying a different PSU.

What you can do with your modular power supply is, with the PSU shut off, unplug one of the peripheral power cables at a time until (hopefully) the board starts.

Or remove all of the peripheral cables, except power to the board. Use the CPU onboard graphics for this test, which means removing the video card or at least any power cable to the card. If the board starts, then start reconnecting power cables one at a time until it fails to start.

When power is removed from a board, such as turning off the PSU or unplugging it from AC power, when it is reconnected again, few if any of the LEDs on the board come on. That is normal.

But whenever I reconnect my PCs to power or turn on the PSU, after a few seconds the network link and activity LEDs next to the network jack(s) start flashing. That's how I know the board is at least partially alive.
GreySaber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreySaber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 4:42pm
In the meanwhile, I disconnected everything except the CPU and the power to the board and the 8pin to the CPU. Can't get so much as a beep.

Without ram or a drive hooked up, I'd expect it to at least try to power on, but it seems to do nothing.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 6:59pm
If the PSU has begun to fail then you wouldn't get a beep out of the system. As Parsec noted, you should try a different PSU on the system. There is very little I hate more than RMAing something only to either have it sent back because it wasn't the problem or get a replacement only to discover the problem is still there. I have 5 or 6 PSUs knocking about from various old systems as I tend to replace mine every time I upgrade even when they seem ok. They make great testing units as well as temporary stand ins when one of my systems fail. The reason I replace the PSU every upgrade is because they are an exceedingly common fail point, even the highest end PSU can fail. 

If the PSU is not providing enough power on one or more of it's rails most motherboards will not allow the system to power up to protect your components. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

... I tend to replace mine every time I upgrade even when they seem ok.

Awesome that you do this. Most folks overlook their PSU's for 4-5 MB/CPU upgrades then scratch their heads when it doesn't behave. "Well, duh. 20 amps on the 12v rail won't even power that new R9 you just installed."

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Y
But whenever I reconnect my PCs to power or turn on the PSU, after a few seconds the network link and activity LEDs next to the network jack(s) start flashing. That's how I know the board is at least partially alive.

Me too.

OP, is this on a new build? If it is, remove it from the case to eliminate shorting and do a minimum build with the MB resting on the BARE box the MB came in.
GreySaber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreySaber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 8:30pm
Not a new build. The Mobo is less then a year and a half old, and the PSU is maybe 3 years old. I just tossed my old 450watt psu. :( When the sun comes up, I'm going to call around and see if any friends have a PSU laying around.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 8:35pm
Well, if you're near Kalamazoo give me a bump. I have a few NIB SeaSonic PSU's I can lend ya for testing.

Edited by wardog - 21 Nov 2015 at 8:37pm
GreySaber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreySaber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:01am
Got a new PSU. Still no joy. :(
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:07am
I haven't seen it mentioned yet in the thread here. Better ask. ...........

Is the Dr Debug LEDs showing _anything_ while it's doing whatever?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic