ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Booting off SSD using pcie nvme adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndruiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Booting off SSD using pcie nvme adapter
    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 6:28am
How do I boot off of an SSD using a PCie adapter on a As Rock 990GX extreme 4. On windows I can add information and use it just fine. But the SSD does not come up in the BIOS.

Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 7:05am
The board/bios probably is too old for a pcie NVME ssd.
I doesn't support the NVME protocol.
But you can use it under windows, that looks good so far.

For booting from a pcie NVME ssd the bios must get a NVME update.
The latest bios is 2.70 from 2014... I don't think it has it.
But you can contact Asrock support, maybe they have an update for you.

If not:

[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html

Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 8:33am
Additional info from the guide above, maybe a bios update is not required:
Some NVMe SSDs like Samsung's 950 Pro SSD are natively bootable in LEGACY mode (CSM and loading of Option ROMs has to be enabled within the BIOS), because their Controller chip contains its own NVMe supporting Option ROM module.
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
ndruiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndruiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 10:30am
I have a XPG SX6000 Lite. It is ADATA. I dont think it has that option but correct me if I am wrong. I am going to try the article you put up. I already tried contacting support but the guy had no clue what was going on. It was an overall bad experience.

thanks for the quick reply.
ndruiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndruiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 10:35am
Also, will me having an AMD chip set cause problems? Everyone talks about intel
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 11:59am
Hi @ndruiz

I've got a tricky idea, have a SATA SDD to run the windows boot manager, but have the actual windows installation in the NVMe.

I.e. use the dual boot feature have a full windoes in SATA SSD as primary, but then install the 2nd windows in NVMe, and finally change dual boot selection default to 2nd windows and count down timer to zero.

possible??? may be.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by ndruiz ndruiz wrote:

I have a XPG SX6000 Lite. It is ADATA. I dont think it has that option but correct me if I am wrong. I am going to try the article you put up. I already tried contacting support but the guy had no clue what was going on. It was an overall bad experience.

thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know if that SSD supports its own NVME supporting Option ROM module.
Until yesterday i even didn't know that any NVME supports that...
You have to set CSM to legacy and loading of Option ROMs in the bios for testing that.
It would work like your PCIe NVME adapter would have it's own bios.
If the board bios has no CSM entry, don't care: It is already in legacy mode.

Originally posted by ndruiz ndruiz wrote:

Also, will me having an AMD chip set cause problems? Everyone talks about intel

The artice is from 2015 using intel based boards, but updated 2 years later for AMD boards.

However, the bios update method looks not easy.

The tricky idea from cx5 seems to be an easy way by just using mechanisms already available.
Under test:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic