ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 k4 not posting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motorhead12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 k4 not posting
    Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 8:37am
Just received my new motherboard, a 6700k, and 16gb of ripjaws ddr4 3000 mhz.
It will not boot up, the display, mouse or keyboard do not come on, but everything inside the pc is fine,all lights and fans running as is my 980gtx.
I have tried it with only one ssd, the same. I have swapped the two ram sticks in every possible combination, nothing again, using one or two sticks.
I have tried another psu, the same, my psu is 850, so no power issues there.
Is this a return to manufacturer?

Thanks for any advice
Motorhead12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motorhead12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 8:38am
Ps,I have tried another gfx card too
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:17am
Please, so we know what all parts you built this with, would you list them out here so as we here may be better able to help you out?

My first question may seem odd but bear with me as it happens all too often ........... Yet what you shortly described sounds just like what will happen if you didn't.

You did plug the 8-pin CPU power from the PSU into the upper left hand of the motherboard didn't you?
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Motorhead12 Motorhead12 wrote:

Just received my new motherboard, a 6700k, and 16gb of ripjaws ddr4 3000 mhz.
It will not boot up, the display, mouse or keyboard do not come on, but everything inside the pc is fine,all lights and fans running as is my 980gtx.
I have tried it with only one ssd, the same. I have swapped the two ram sticks in every possible combination, nothing again, using one or two sticks.
I have tried another psu, the same, my psu is 850, so no power issues there.
Is this a return to manufacturer?

Thanks for any advice

By "not boot up", you really mean you cannot get into the UEFI/BIOS, since you get no signal to your monitor.

Since you haven't installed an OS yet (hopefully not using an OS drive installed on another PC), the board is in a basic state. You must use a wired mouse and keyboard, in the USB 2.0 ports until an OS is installed. The fancier the keyboard and mouse you use, the more likely it won't work until the OS is installed, and their drivers are installed.

Are you sure your monitor is set to auto detect which input it is using? Most monitors default to manual switching of the input.

Try removing any video card, and use the iGPU in the CPU. After you remove the video card, and are getting the PC back together again, clear the BIOS/UEFI. You must clear the BIOS after every hardware change, like moving the memory sticks around.

You should be using the two black slots for your memory.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motorhead12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 7:31pm
I have tried this with my wired mouse and keyboard too.
My monitor is a acer predator gsync, I cannot select auto select as there is nothing being detected at all.
I will try plugging it into my tv and see if that works via hdmi.
BTW, my monitor is only display port, but my tv has a hdmi so I will try that later tonight.

Any other ideas?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motorhead12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 1:54am
Nope, nothing from the on board graphics either

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motorhead12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:05am
I'm going to rma it, the cpu socket is damaged very slightly
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:39am
Originally posted by Motorhead12 Motorhead12 wrote:

I'm going to rma it, the cpu socket is damaged very slightly

Yea, that'll do it too.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic