ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - x570 Taichi problem with cores speed, gets bricked
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x570 Taichi problem with cores speed, gets bricked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x570 Taichi problem with cores speed, gets bricked
    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 12:16am
Hi all,

I had a x570 taichi with a 3800x and unfortunately mainboard died for no reason (now when press power button does nothing).

I made the RMA to get a new one and bought a 3900x and a x570 steel legend. The idea is leave the new x570 taichi with 3900x and Steel legend with 3800x.

The problem came this morning when I tryied to make any kind of overclock to the 3900x with x570 Taichí and bios 2.70 (overclock via bios, not ryzen master or any other tool).

When I use manual frecuency, the third core of first, second and fourth CCX Works at 3200 (3199) MHz, no matter if I use 4000, 4100 or 4200 MHz in the whole CCX:

Not to say it didn't happend with 3800x, all cores worked manually at 4275mhz.

I tried everything to solve this, but there was no way, those cores run at 3200 MHz instead of selected frecuency.

I plugged 3900x in x570 Steel Legend and the problem does not happend (all cores at 4ghz ok). But I want to use 3900x on taichi, not on Steel legend.

I tried to flash from bios 2,70 to older 2,10, but I can't do it via bios, i guess it refuses to back to an older one (bad, this is bad, asrock, there should be a warning, but not disable this option!).

Then I flashed the same 2,70 but nothing changes and problem remain. I left mainboard with stack (battery) unplugged and all disconnected for 2 hours, tried to clear cmos??no way

Las try was using bios flashback to back to 2.10, apparently it flashed ok, but now mainboard is bricked. It power on, cpu fan Works and stay working 15 seconds, then fan power off and repeat processs. In all moment debug display only shows "00".

What can I do to recover this mainboard?? Once I fix this I'll still have the problem of the cores at 3200 MHz.

Regards and thanks in advance
Tassadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 1:49am
Sorry, I can't edit my main post.

I've been able to recover the board using bios flashback and flashing latest versión (BETA 2,72).

Problem is the speed problem with the three cores still exists, so I've try bios flashback again, this time with an older versión (2.10) and again motherboard is bricked. I've try to flash three times with no success, it doesn't post and shows "00" on debug display :(

Regards
Tassadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:26am
Hi Again,

I have finally been able to fix the board and recover BIOS 2.10. With this version overclock works ok and if I set manual speed of 4000 MHz it's what I get IN ALL CORES

The problem is in this BIOS is there is no option for overclock per CCX, I have to set speed to all cores, and this is something very mad for me (some CCXs can reach sometimes even 200 MHz than others)

I can confirm there is a bios bug in this board (and I guess in other models such as x570 Steel legend)and the overclock per CCX does not work properly.

Now I don't know what to do, I want to keep this board but I want to make overclock setting different frecuencies to each CCX, and BIOS 2,70 and 2,73 is "bugged" and make three of the cores limit at 3200mhz.

How long Will Asrock take in fixing this problem?? I love Asrock, seriously, but I'm honestly thinking in replacing this board with an MSI.

Regards
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 10:25am
you should send a support ticket for that
Tassadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

you should send a support ticket for that

How can a do this???

Many thanks
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 9:11pm
2.70 has newer AGESA 1.0.0.4, while 2.10 has 1.0.0.3, that's probably what makes the difference. Other than that, compare the Vcore setting between the two. But generally it does not make sense to manually overclock Ryzen 3000. It will boost out of the box pretty much to the particular silicon limit with temperature. In fact, lowering Vcore a bit via offset can allow more boost because the temp will be lower. My 3800x runs at ~4200 all core boost, with just -0.120v Vcore offset (lower values lead to actual performance degradation). Manually I could get it to pass Cinebench at 4400 all core at ~1.44v, but hammering it with P95 at these settings triggers OTP reboot within a minute on a custom loop with a 360 radiator. The silicon is just too dense to be cooled efficiently past certain point.
Tassadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 10:15pm
In this Taichí I had a 3800x with manual OC to 4275mhz, in my tests with PBO I can't reach those frecuencies, so I decided to use manual OC to favour multicore performance while I knew I was losing a bit of single core performance.

With the 3900x the problem of this thread is, as you've seen, when using manual OC per CCX. I don't know if the problem is from AMD and its agesa or with the bios implementation of Asrock.

The reality is that with bios 2.1 I can set same speed to all cores, let's say, 4000, and it's what I have. With 2.70 and 2.73 if I set 4000 MHz to each CCX (same voltaje and all other values), I have 3200 MHz in some cores, to be exact, in my tests in one core of three of the CCXs (in the attached image it's third core of ccx 1,3,4, but in other tests i made the "relaxed core" was second of each CCX.

This is a problem of the BIOS, a but that makes manual OC not to work the way it should. The big befenit of OC per CCX is some of them Will have cores able to reach higher speeds than others with the same vcore, so you can set for example 1,26v and have best CCX at 4300 MHz, other at 4275, and the weakest ones of the weaker chiplet at 4200.

When overclocking with older agesa there is no problem of the cores that work below value set, but you are forced to set same speed to all of them, so in my example it would be 4200 (you're limited to the speed of the weakest CCX).

PBO? Ok, PBO is a different thing, we can argument if manual OC worth it or not (you say it doesn't), but It does't rest importance to the bug of the bios that makes manual OC per CCX fail.

In the tests I've made with the 3900x, when using PBO I can reach around 4050-4100 MHz in a test like cinebench, and around 4 GHz or a bit less in prime95avx.

If I use manual OC in all cores the speed is between 4150-4200 MHz (I'm testing stability just now), so there is no much difference, but I still think that multicore performance can be a bit higher with manual OC than with PBO (and it could be better if OC per CCX would work).

I've try PBO, +200 MHz, and vcore offset -150mv, in this config I get in HW Info around 1,26-1,28v in CPU, while in manual OC in I set in bios 1,22v I get less than 1,15v in HW info.

I mean, automatic OC made by PBO doesn't seem to me as good as manual, so with same volts manually I can get like +100mhz and lower temps :(

What are exactly the values in the PBO config you're using?? I'm seriously thinking in use it and forget manual OC.

at 4200mhz manual OC I get 7500 points in Cinebench R20, how much you get with PBO?

Regards and many thanks for your time
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:34am
I don't use PBO, it's in the default mode. I use -120mv offset for Vcore, and SoC set to run at 1v, which should reduce the total package power a bit. In my experience PBO does not make any difference as the limiting factor is the temperature, not the power. My 3800x gives about 5000 points in R20, which as I understand about where it should be.
That's Master during R20 run

That's the first minute of running P95 small FFTs

This is on x570 Taichi with 2.70 UEFI.
Tassadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Synapse Synapse wrote:

I don't use PBO, it's in the default mode. I use -120mv offset for Vcore, and SoC set to run at 1v, which should reduce the total package power a bit. In my experience PBO does not make any difference as the limiting factor is the temperature, not the power. My 3800x gives about 5000 points in R20, which as I understand about where it should be.
That's Master during R20 run

That's the first minute of running P95 small FFTs

This is on x570 Taichi with 2.70 UEFI.

Hi Synapse,

Using manual OC with the 3900x I've get 4200mhz completely stable under prime95 AVX2 using 1220mv in BIOS. With this config I've 7550 points in Cinebench R20.

I spent yesterday a Good number of hours testing and trying a lot of different PBO configs. After almost 20 different configurations, the one that gave me higher performance on CB20 was PBO all auto and -100mv vcore offset.

With this config I had this:

CB20: 7435 points
Frecuencia CB20 frecuency: 4200-4195
Prime95 frecuency: 3877 MHz

As you can see, even when frecuency in Conebench is almost the same than the 4200mhz in manual OC, performance is worse (7550 vs 7435). Of course, in more demandant applications (prime95 is the most extreme) the performance is worse since manual OC runs at 4200 and PBO at 3877.

You can see all the test I made in this thread of spanish Hard2Mano fórum:

https://www.hard2mano.com/topic/213489-hablemos-de-ryzen-3000/page/63/#comments

I really think I'd had better performance if I could use overclock per CCX, it's a shame it doesn't work correctly in this board because of the bug.

Regards

gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 1:20am
i dont have pbo enabled still hitting 4.7 on 2 cores given the system stays idle enough avgs 4.5-4.6 all cores and somewhere around 4.2 on heavy load
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic