ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

TRX40 Creator has the ECP Printer Port (LPT1)?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRX40 Creator has the ECP Printer Port (LPT1)?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 6:45pm
I have removed all the devices except the graphics card, but Win10x64 Computer Management still finds the ECP Printer Port (LPT1). I can not find anything from the BIOS L1.50 to disable this and TRX40 Creator motherboard does not even have a pin-header for the LPT.

Why is ECP Printer Port (LPT1) recognized and how can it be prevented to show up?

jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 2:35am
What brand and model printer do you have installed, and how is it connected? I'm suspecting some type of USB emulation of a "legacy" parallel port.

Jake
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
ShK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 2:56am
HP Color LaserJet M255nw via Network. It's not a local or USB printer.
jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 3:03am
Can you temporarily uninstall and disconnect the printer? If so, then delete the printer, print queue, and ECP Printer Port in Device Manager, then scan for hardware changes. Otherwise, there is some emulation being performed in the UEFI.

Jake
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
ShK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 3:33am
I unplugged LaserJet from the router and uninstalled HP printer network drivers from the Windows and ran CCleaner before and after reboot. I also uninstalled ECP Printer Port (LPT1) from the Computer Management.

But that ECP Printer Port (LPT1) keeps coming back. It's also hooked to the IRQ-5 and DMA-3 ports and uses Microsoft drivers.

jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 4:05am
Normally I use Windows 7, so didn't look on a Windows 10 machine. I have now, and should have before I first replied. For this, I apologize for wasting your time. My Windows 10 laptop, which does not have a physical parallel port, did have some sort of emulation in the BIOS: both a "port" and a USB legacy setting for parallel port mode. I've since disabled both of those, and rebooted, and the ECP port has gone away.

In your case, look in the UEFI settings at anything USB related. There might be something about USB legacy settings causing what you are seeing.

Jake
ShK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 2:55pm
I disabled all the USB controllers from:

Advanced\AMD CBS\Chipset Common Options\Chipset USB Configuration Options
Advanced\AMD CBS\FCH Common Options\USB Configuration Options

and used PS/2 keyboard (mouse didn't work). I also disabled all the ACPI Devices which I could find from the BIOS P1.50:

But that ECP Printer Port (LPT1) stays in the Computer Management.
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:08pm
That has nothing to do with USB or ACPI settings.
As the device manager shows, it is a legacy device on the PCI standard ISA bridge. It looks like the board vendor could implement a legacy ECP Printer Port, the AMD SOC or PCH is ready for that.

On my old Asrock x370 board i have 4 Uart in the bios to configure, but just one of them is available with a header on the board.

What different sub items under Advanced\AMD CBS\
especially under FCH Common Options are available?

Go through all sub items.

If there is nothing to disable, you can disable the thing in the device manager under ECP Printer Proberties (you already posted a screenshot).
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
ShK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 3:32pm
ASRock Technical Support Division (TSD) sent me a beta BIOS for the testing and I can confirm that with the BIOS 1.51 this "ghost LPT1" does not show up anymore in the device manager!

I also have a "real" PCI-E parallel port- and USB serial port -devices. Now with the BIOS 1.51 they also appear in the device manager and function as expected.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic