ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Phantom Gaming BSOD - MemTest results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tsuprano2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Phantom Gaming BSOD - MemTest results
    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:03pm
Greetings all,
Thanks in advance for any assistance that might be provided.

I built a Threadripper based rig a few months ago and have been getting occasional BSOD's. It wasn't constant or even incredibly disruptive but it was nagging. In an effort to resolve the issues I decide to do what I should have done prior to installing my OS, I ran MemTest....

I tested each memory module and initially was getting errors on all that I tested. After getting through 2 of 4, I decided to go back into my bios and check some settings to make sure everything was correct. Now just as a note, I am not using any overclocking and have (for the most part) left my bios settings to automatically configure. That being said, I knew my memory was going to be set to a slower speed than what it was rated for and found that this was exactly the case. My actual memory is G.Skill and rated at 3200 Mhz but the bios had the setting at 2133 Mhz by default (all other characteristics of the memory matched with the exception of the speed). Realizing that apparently all my memory was showing massive failures on the Memtest I decided to change the speed in my XMP profile to 3200. I did not hold much hope for any success due to the failure at the lower speed but low and behold, the memory passed with flying colors. Tested each stick over 2 days and all 4 sticks installed as a final test and not one error.

Now, I have two questions for anyone that may be able to help -

1 - Is it common for memory to fail when set at lower speeds than that for which it is rated? (If so this seems counter-intuitive)

2 - Are there other settings on my BIOS that would make sense to update to enhance the performance of my rig? Please note, I am not looking to OC as I moved from a Phenom-II chip to a Threadripper so it already feels like a rocket.

Here are my rig configurations -

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 54.97 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 ATX sTR4 Motherboard   
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory   
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive   
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card   
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case   
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply   
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 RGB White with Lighting Node PRO 63 CFM 120 mm Fans   

Thanks again for any assistance! It is greatly appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic