ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock z77e-itx picky with pci-e 3.0 on 2500K ??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock z77e-itx picky with pci-e 3.0 on 2500K ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LmmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock z77e-itx picky with pci-e 3.0 on 2500K ??
    Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 7:47am
I've just bought a used MSI gtx 760 TF 2GB, for my i5-2500K setup. My old Asus 560ti needed to be replaced.

But when I swaped the cards, I didn't get any display?! Tried the HD3000 onboard, and got display. When I looked in the bios it stated that the PCI-e slot was empty? Tried to put the 560ti back in, and the display worked fine again. The bios also stated that there was a GPU present in the PCI-e slot.

Then tried to put the 760 into my old QX9650, and got display through the 760..... ODD!! Then I tried swapping both PSU, and afterwards memory between the two systems. Which didn't solve the problem, both systems works fine with all components, EXCEPT for the 760 in my z77e-itx.

My system is:
ASRock z77e-itx
2x4gb corsair vengegance 1600mhz
ST45SF-G
i5-2500K

I know that the z77e-itx supports PCI-e 3.0, and that 2500K doesn't, but should be able to run 3.0 cards in 2.0. I've tried pretty much all ASRocks bios versions. And tried to force the PCI-e speed (Auto, Gen1, Gen2, Gen3). Nothing seems to do the trick.

Any ideas??? I'm losing what is left of my hair!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 3:15pm
You can try this.

Go in and clear the BIOS the LONG way.

Shut down the system, then

1. Remove power from wall
2. With the 760 slotted in your MB and itself cabled for power if needed ............
3. Remove the 8-pin CPU power and 24-pin MB power cables
4. Press the cases Power switch (Important)
5. Pull the CMOS battery (heeding that the batterys writing is facing up towards you)
6. Jumper the MB's CLRCMOS1 from pins 1-2 over to 2-3 (See pg29 sec 2.9 of your manual)
7. Leave it like this for 30 minutes or overnight if need be

After completing those, reverse them(excepting no.4 obviously) turn it on and see what comes up.

No promises mind you but this has helped many a video card get recognized and picked up by the BIOS. YMMV
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
LmmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LmmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 9:14pm
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried doing exactly as you described. Still no picture! :(

Tried putting an old ATI gfx into the PCI-e slot today. But didn't get any picture through it. Then pressed the clr CMOS button by the I/O shield, and got picture through the ATI card. Afterwards I tried setting onboard as primary display in bios, to test picture through onboard, which worked. And the ATI card was still registred in the "System browser" in bios. Switched Computer off, and pulled the ATI card out, boot and still picture. Then back in with the ATI card, and still picture through onboard, and the ATI card is immediatly registred by the bios and visible in "System browser".

The same goes for my 560ti card. But still no sign of life with the gtx 760 :(

Next step must be trying another PCI-e 3.0 card in the z77e-itx, and trying a PCI-e 3.0 capable CPU... 

DAmn!!! In my 13 years of fiddling with hardware, I have never tried anything this annoying and difficult to solve :/
LmmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LmmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:33pm
Update!!

So I tried a friends gigabyte GTX 960 in my system, which at first didn't give any display. But hitting the "clr cmos" switch at the back of the motherboard, gave picture at second boot. Same goes for all other graphiccards I have tried (pci-e 2.0 or lower tough). Then I tried putting his i7-3770 (pci-e 3.0 capable), in my z77e-itx, and finally my MSI gtx 760 gave display!!!

So it comes down to this theory: My MSI GTX 760 wont work in a pci-e 3.0 capable motherboard, with a pci-e 2.0 capable CPU.... How do I fix this?! Could it be a bug in the firmware on the 760 card or something like that?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:59pm
Not denigrating the card mind you but I find it unlikely ASRock somehow hosed a BIOS by not including support for a card of this age.

Have you checked for a BIOS update for the card using MSI's own "MSI Live Update" available on your cards download page?

Failing a card BIOS update then I'd suggest speaking to ASRock Tech Support HERE
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic