ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z170M Pro4s and DDR4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daedik@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z170M Pro4s and DDR4
    Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:24am
Hello I have a Asrock Z170M Pro4s motherboard. It takes DDR4 memory

Can I mix the memory or does it have to be the same. Can I put in 8gb+4gb to make 12gb ?
Can it be from different manufacturers? Can it be different speed like 2400 and 3000 together.

Can I put in the motherboard a 8gb (Crucial) and a 4gb (Crucial or Corsair) stick in the same channel? (2 sticks total)
OR 
Can I put 2x 8gb (Corsair) in one channel and then put a single stick 8gb Crucial in the other channel by itself. (3 sticks total)

Edited by daedik@hotmail.com - 02 Dec 2015 at 11:25am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 2:40pm
The simple answer is yes. You will sacrifice dual channel operation with 3 modules and it is very likely that the mixed capacity dual module setup will run in single channel too. I have seen mixed capacity setups run in dual channel but it largely depends on the CPU memory controller and the BIOS. Officially you need only Xeons are capable of mixed capacity dual channel but sometimes it works anyway, just like some manufacturers add overclocking features to boards using chipsets intel never intended for the purpose. 

In other words, if you don't mind losing dual channel performance and defaulting to the lowest frequency of RAM installed (2400 in your case) then it should work so long as all the RAM you install is compatible with your board. I always advise against setups like this, it is far better to have matched kits as they will run at the same speeds, timings and likely be more stable. I do however see systems with mixed RAM pretty often, especially in the "upgrade as I can afford to" bracket.

Good luck
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 4:15pm
I though Intel had some whiz bang name for where it could operate in mixed mode??
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I though Intel had some whiz bang name for where it could operate in mixed mode??

AhhhhhhHa! We have a Winner.

Flex Mode:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-011965.htm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 4:25pm
That is the one yes. Though much like when it comes to overclocking RAM or raising BCLK, sometimes there is "flex" support even when intel says it isn't possible. Knowing what CPUs unofficially support it is all but impossible to know without testing them however, its not like reviewers test mixed memory setups Tongue
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

.... however, its not like reviewers test mixed memory setups Tongue

That's a good thing too. Matched set/kit/sticks if benchmarking or overclocking. Period.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 5:05pm
And OP, did you really intend to put an email address in as your User Name here?

That's gonna earn someones email a bunch of SPAM in someones Inbox.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 6:31pm
That is a good point Wardog.

To the thread starter, I would advise that you change your user name under the "member control manager". It does not have to include your email address. I am unable to do it for you as my moderator privileges on the forums do not extend to user accounts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic