ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DezertFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC Not Working
    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 3:06pm
Hi,
I have a new build that I just can't get to work. I have checked everything. The PC starts, the fans are going on the case, the CPU and GPU, and it stays on for 15 seconds, then switches off, then restarts for 15 seconds and this repeats until I turn the PSU off. What can I do next?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 6:28pm
Full specs please, we can't help you without knowing your setup:

CPU
Motherboard
RAM (model number please)
PSU
GPU
DezertFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DezertFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 9:10pm
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

MOBO: B450 Pro4

RAM: Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

PSU: Silverstone Essential 550W 80 Plus Gold

GPU: RX 570 Red Dragon (4GB)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 1:37am
Make sure your RAM is inserted in slots A2 and B2 and that you have connected the
8 pin CPU power lead to the board. The 2600 should be supported on all BIOS versions.
Power cycling like that is usually RAM training, clear CMOS then power on the system
and leave it on for a few mins and see if it eventually posts.
DezertFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DezertFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 11:34am
I tried all of that. The problem remains. I have rechecked all of these connections. I checked to see if the PSU fan is working, it is. I am bereft of ideas. I left it to loop for far more than a few minutes a few times. I tried one RAM in slot B1, then B2, then the other in like manner. I feel very frustrated with this, and disheartened by this!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 3:20pm
Ouch, ok, time to dig in:

Pull the board out of the case and connect it to the power supply outside the case.

Make sure you only have 1 stick of RAM, GPU and CPU installed, no drives or other
peripherals (no keyboard or mouse either).

With the board outside the case you should more easily be able to see if the RAM
is seating all the way into the slot.

Make sure your 8pin CPU power is a 4+4 (CPU power) not a 6+2 (PCIe power)

Pull the CMOS battery and disconnect the PSU from the board, leave it like this
for 20mins. While disconnected from power clear CMOS again.

If after all this the system still won't POST, pull the CPU and check for bent
or missing pins.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

DezertFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DezertFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Pull the board out of the case and connect it to the power supply outside the case.

Make sure you only have 1 stick of RAM, GPU and CPU installed, no drives or other

With the board outside the case you should more easily be able to see if the RAM

or missing pins.

I tell you, there's no rest for the wicked here! I did what you suggested, and took the motherboard out. Immediately I could see that the RAM wasn't in entirely. So, I enthusiastically reassembled thinking this to be the problem. I have everything neatly done, I connect the power cable and press the power button. Nothing. No fans, no lights, zero! So, I plug my phone into the case USB, it charges my phone. Everything is connected up exactly as it was before! I don't know what to think now. I am totally at a loss here.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 11:07pm

or missing pins.

Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

DezertFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DezertFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 12:41am
Originally posted by RLGL RLGL wrote:

or missing pins.

Thanks for all your time. I rechecked the CPU and indeed there are bent pins. It's quite strange, as when looking at it from one or two sides with a torch, they didn't look bent at all! Not until I turned it completely around. Such an ordeal. It hasn't been a pleasant experience but I have sure learned a lot from the process. I contacted the seller to return it and I shall just wait and see how this all unfolds. I'll update when my new CPU arrives.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic