ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x570 taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stranatriboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x570 taichi
    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 9:00am
Hi all,
i would like?to buy a x570 TAICHI motherboard to pair it with a AMD 3950x.
I want to put in 64GB DDR4 RAM on two sticks (2x32). I did choose Corsair CMK64GX4M2D3600C18 kit.
I did choose a 2x32GB kit to have the possibility in the future to put another identical kit and upgrade to 128GB if needed.
Then i looked at the motherboard compatibility chart and discovered that neither the Corsair kit i chose nor any other of the 2x32GB listed is supported in the 4x32GB (dual 2x32GB kit) mode.
The motherboard should be 128GB RAM capable as per specifications, but what memory kit should i choose?
I didn't buy any of the above mentioned hardware because of this problem. Can you help me?
Thanks everyone in advance
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 6:58am
3600 MT/s is not officially supported by AMD, this is considered an overclock. Most Ryzen 3000 CPUs can hit 3600 with 2 sticks, but it's not guaranteed. If it won't work, you can decrease the frequency to 3466 (1733), 3200 (1600) etc. The performance hit is not that significant outside of synthetic benchmarks.
pcwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 10:57am
The popular line on forums is, the Taichi is a "t-topology" board to the four DRAM slots, one of a very small handful. Most other x570 boards are "daisy chain" to the DRAM.

T-top: Better OC compatibility with all four slots filled.
Daisy: Better OC compatibility with A2 + B2 slots filled.

I believe the preference for single rank versus double rank DRAM is inherent in the Ryzen design.

My .02$
pcwolf
Man out standing in his field
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:49pm
Early engineering samples of X570 were T-topology, but the production units appear to be daisy-chain.
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgwjG8OxnKAGLMUVyQB4AaABCQ
I have X570 Taichi, but I didn't remove the back cover to verify the layout. The guy running AHOC channel does a lot of memory overclocking, he's trustworthy in this regard.

Single rank sticks are easier for the memory controller to drive, so they have higher OC potential. But dual rank sticks offer very slight performance advantage over single rank at the same clocks because the controller can issue a command to the 2nd bank while waiting for data from the 1st.
32GB sticks are dual rank, there's just no way to get this capacity on single rank with current memory chips.

I have 4x16GB dual rank 3200 MT/s rated sticks running stable OC at 3600. I had all 4 sticks posting at 3733-3800, but not stable for daily use, not with 1:1 FC ratio.
stranatriboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stranatriboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:48pm
Thank you all for the answers.
The fact that i'm looking for 3600Mhz RAM is for stability.
It is not vital that they work in a 4 stick configuration at full speed.
Having them work at let's say 3000 or 3200 would be good enough the same, but not at 2133 possibly.
I want to build a system with 64GB RAM hoping that they are enough, but i could easily need 128GB, so i could need to expand to 4 sticks.
Some of you could say "why don't you go for a threadripper?". The answer is easy.... money!!! i should spend 700-800??more for a TR4 system, and i simply can't afford it.
I don't know what to do...
pcwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 2:31am
These are all arguing minor details around the edge of performance. I am confident the Taichi can achieve 3600 stable overclock with any reasonably competent memory kit. My X470 manages 3733 easily, and the X570 goes far higher in its published specs.

Again, just my opinion. The apparent difference in desktop performance is hardly noticeable.
pcwolf
Man out standing in his field
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:48am
You can use memory that's not on the QVL. My memory is not on the list for X570 Taichi, but it works fine, even at higher clocks than its rated XMP profile.
In case selecting the XMP results in unstable system, you can manually tune things like voltages, timings, frequency. There's a free utility called DRAM calculator for Ryzen, you can use it as a guide to dial in manual settings. Then you will need to run memory test for some time to check for stability. The utility comes with a test program. I mostly used AIDA64 for stability testing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic