ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450M Pro4 x16 PCI-e issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blupupher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450M Pro4 x16 PCI-e issue
    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 11:36pm
I am building my new system with following specs:

Ryzen 5 2600x with OEM cooler (no overclock)
B450M Pro 4 (board came with BIOS 3.8, site says not to use 3.9 with Pinnacle Ridge (but so does 3.6, and I don't see 3.8 listed).
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 32 gig
WD Blue 550 NVMe
Corsair CX 650

I am having issues with the x16 PCIE slot and an old 9800GT (a placeholder card while awaiting my GTX 1060).

The system will not even post with the 9800GT in the top x16 slot.
Just powers on, CPU and GPU fans spin up high speed, and then the CPU fan ramps down, then back up, and keeps doing it till I turn it off.
The card works just fine if I use the bottom x4 slot.
The card also works just fine in other systems (even another B450 build, using a Gigabyte board). Have used 2 seperate PSU's, so I know it is not the card or power supply.
Used 1 stick of RAM, different brand of RAM, all with no changes. RAM tried at standard and XMP settings.

I have a HD5450 that does work just fine in the x16 slot.

Is the 9800 GT just too old to work with this board?
I adjusted some of the PCIe setting in the bios (Auto/Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, changing the card to 2x8 vs 1x16), but there was no change.

I just want to make sure it is not a board issue with Nvidia cards since I have a 1060 on the way.

blupupher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blupupher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 3:43am
Hmm, don't see a way to edit my post above.

I got it figured out.

I was using a DVI to VGA converter (the 9800 GT only has DVI or S-Video out), and for some reason when the card was in the x16 slot, it did not work.
No idea why it worked in the x-4 slot, but it did. The HD5450 has a VGA port so it was not an issue.

Only reason I figured it out was I moved the system from my garage where I built it (that only has a VGA monitor) to the office that has a DVI monitor.
When I moved it, I was going to mess with the BIOS settings some more and decided to try 1 more time with the 9800GT, and by using the DVI cable, it worked just fine in the x16 slot.
Weird, but not going to complain since I got it working.

Hopefully my GTX 1060 shows up tomorrow and I can finish up this build.
I am putting it all together in the case with the 9800GT, so when it shows up, it will be a 2 minute swap and driver update.

Only thing I may have to adjust is the 6 pin cable on the card, the 9800GT is on the back of the card, the 1060 is on the top, but should not really be an issue.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 9:12pm
still having this on going issue with a friends system
AND his 1060...................
originaly i cured it by changing the pcie gen from auto to gen3

but when he fitted it to the case it reverted back to not displaying/booting with the 1060 in the pcie x16

the system is located too far from my home to physically test and find a cure myself ,so waiting for him to have time and inclination to test anything else with me over a phone call
i will link him to this post as it may help thanks
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
blupupher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blupupher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 10:10pm
Well got the 1060 installed and it works just fine using a DVI cable to DVI monitor.

datonyb, is your friend using a DVI to VGA adapter?
For me that was the issue.
I guess I am at the point that I need to upgrade my test monitor to one with native DVI/HDMI support.

Does the card work normally in the x4 slot?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 1:38am
yes ive found out he is using a convertor to run a second very old monitor

it does work on the x4 slot like that but not in the x16
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
blupupher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blupupher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

yes ive found out he is using a convertor to run a second very old monitor

it does work on the x4 slot like that but not in the x16

Sounds like the issue I had. Seems there is no support for DVI-VGA adapters in the x16 slot.
I know some new boards also do not support DVI-VGA adapters for onboard as well.
Not sure if this is an AMD only issue or if Intel boards have the same problem.

Only 2 ways to "fix" it for your friend, either run the card in the 4x slot for a massive performance hit or get a monitor with DVI/HDMI input.
A third option could be to find a cheap older card to run in the x4 slot to run the second monitor, since it sounds like that is a secondary monitor that probably would not need any high performance.
And the cheapest option is to not run a 2nd monitor.

For me, I am looking around on craigslist and facebook to see if I can find a cheap/free monitor with DVI/HDMI. I don't care about specs since I use mine as a test monitor and just need something to display an image while building/testing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic