ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMD Steel Legend B450 XMP Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lvmarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMD Steel Legend B450 XMP Issue
    Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:03am
Hi all, 1st time visitor here after some advice!

My wifes computer has a B450 Steel Legend ATX board with bios P2.63b and a Ryzen 2600x.

We have a Kingston Hyper X Predator 3200mhz kit that is on the QVL list, that will not hold the XMP settings. The system resets when you save the XMP settings in the bios and starts briefly, then stops, and then starts again and then stops again. After a long delay the system will start and boot to Windows, where both Windows and CPU-Z show the ram running at stock 2400mhz speeds and not the 3200mhz speed that it should.

I have tried clearing the cmos, and have made sure the ram is in slots A2 and B2 as it should be. The only thing I have not done is to update the bios beyond P2.63b, as the support page says not to if using Pinnacle Ridge?

Is there something simple that I am missing here? Any advice would be appreciated!
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:10pm

whats happening ............ the bios, boot up cant set the requested timings/speed stable on boot ,keeps trying then fails so resets to its bios safe defaults

how to cure ........
you wont like any of these .......... choose one or more to fix your issue

change ram kit

manually enter all ram timings speed and voltage yourself from the 'ryzen timing calculator' its a free online tool toactually work out safe and stable timings for your ram

change bios version (mixed results , some cure ram settings , some make things worse )

lastly most costly . change cpu to ryzen 3000 it has a better memory controller and the bios settings work better on later bios WITH 3000 cpus

SO WHAT I WOULD DO ?

id first go and watch the guide video to 'ryzen dram calculator'
download a copy and try to set the hardware you have first using the safe settings option in the calculator into your bios

to be fair you cant be far off stable with a 2600x as they have better ram controllers than the first gen, allthough im not a great fan of using hyperX on amd ryzen, you should be able to get it running stable on a 2600 with the dram calc.
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:31am
Before messing with the DRAM calculator, try selecting a slower clock manually after you enable XMP. Downclocking memory by a notch or to may do the trick. I have 6 Ryzen boxes in-house (one 2700X and the rest 1600's), and three of them needed memory downclocking by one or two steps for stable operation.

If that works, and if you really want the tiny bit of performance loss back, you can try fooling around with DRAM Calculator. My experience with that tool is that it's very useful, but a gigantic time sink because what it calculates is basically a starting point, not an end result.

If downclocking a little doesn't help then you might have bad or marginal memory sticks.
lvmarv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lvmarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:26am
Hi guys. Thank you both for your reply. I do appreciate it!

A bit of back story, both the CPU and ram worked fine paired together in my system on a Gigabyte x370 board and we decided to upgrade my wifes old platform to this 2600x and I got a 3700x. We then purchased this board to go with the 2600x for her after researching that all would be compatible.

The thing that I find odd is that the ram kit is on the QVL list at 3200mhz speed. Does that not mean that the ram is tested and certified to run appropriately on the board? Why then bother giving a combination of board and ram in the QVL and say that it works, if it then doesn't?

Also, I can understand why there may have been potential issues on my older x370 board with the 2600x and this ram, as the boards weren't specifically designed with those CPUs in mind. My understanding is that B450 and X470 WERE designed for Zen+ chips like the 2600x so this should not be so much of a problem?

I have seen the DRAM calculator mentioned and have not really looked into that yet. It seems like a whole bunch of work for something that even in the eyes of Asrock according to their QVL, should just work.

I would be more inclined to replace the board with another manufacturer (maybe get myself an x570 board and give my wife the old x370 board?) and not the CPU as that would be the cheaper option.

You mentioned that I could try updating the bios and see if that helps, or it could make things worse? How much worse I realistically make it then the system not booting with XMP enabled, and reverting back to stock speeds?

Thank you again for looking at my issue!
lvmarv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lvmarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:02pm
Hi team, a quick update.

I thought to heck with it and did a bios update to the current one that the product page advises you not to use if using Pinnacle Ridge. Lo and behold everything is working perfectly with the ram running at 3200mhz as it should.

Thanks again for the advice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic