ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP With BIOS Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avagadro1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP With BIOS Update
    Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:23pm
BIOS Help Appreciated.

I have a new ASRock H-170M Pro 4 motherboard.  I just downloaded the latest BIOS (version 1.8), intending to install by the USB Flash method.  The BIOS came down in a ZIP file.  Extracting from the ZIP, the name of the BIOS file is ?œH17MP4_1.80??

I stopped everything because the ASROCK "BIOS Upgrade Instruction" page shows the UEFI Utility screen shot with a drop down dialog inside of which is a BIOS file having an ".exe" file.

Am I ok to get into the motherboard current BIOS tools and flash the BIOS with this (apparently non-executable) file?

Thank you.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:33pm
It is always best to use the instant flash option, the first method described here. There is a Beta BIOS, 1.81, for your board that will enable memory overclocking. I downloaded it and it is also not an executable. If it is not valid for instant flash for whatever reason then the BIOS instant flash option will simply not detect it or state it is invalid. If the instant flash option detects it then it will be fine.
Avagadro1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avagadro1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 4:50am
Thank you.

I guess the rule is that INSTANT FLASH method uses a file that is not a ".exe" executable.

I further guess that if i had chosen to download the BIOS intended to be installed through Windows, that file would have been a :.exe".

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:10am
You are correct.

A flashable file downloaded for use in Windows is an EXE file. It must be an exe executable as Windows itself has no means with which to flash a BIOS. So the flash utility and flashable BIOS file are self-contained within the downloaded Windows executable.

Instant Flash itself is the flashing utility and so only needs the flashable BIOS file itself.

HERE is the BIOS Download page for your motherboard. Notice the column titled "How to Update" and the red pluses underneath to the right of Description. Clicking on the red pluses will bring up a crude How-To for flashing each type(Instant Flash, Windows, and DOS) of flashing method per means of flashing ASRock provides.

Note: Stick with Instant Flash. It's proven itself less problematic. Unfortunately, not many know DOS now. And, well, flashing a BIOS from within Windows is just plain asking for problems. Windows has way way too much going on beneath the hood and behind the scenes to not expect issues afterwards from flashing within it.

Instant Flash     Period

Edited by wardog - 06 Dec 2015 at 7:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic