ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cannot set boot order on B365M mobo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannot set boot order on B365M mobo
    Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:03am
I just booted up my new B365M mobo with a 500GB M.2 Samsung EVO 970+ and 16 GB RAM.

I looked at the instructions for "How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD". The Launch Storage OpROM Policy was already set to UEFI by default. The Launch PXE OpRom was set to Legacy. Should it leave it on Legacy?

Also Storage Configuration was already set to SATA Mode AHCI.

That all seems good to go.

The problem I have is setting a boot order.

On the main screen under Boot Priority it only lists the M2_1 Samsung SSD. Clicking on it drops down another selection called "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" and it's grayed out.

Going to the Advanced Mode > Boot Option Priorities, the first item listed is Boot Option #1: M2_1 Samsung. Clicking on it just gives the option to disable it.

The second item under Boot Option Priorities is Hard Drive BBS Priorities. Clicking on it takes me back to the above Boot Option #1: M2_1 Samsung.

I don't see any options to add a USB or optical drive to the boot order and I looked all over the BIOS.

Any suggestions on how set up USB for booting would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:51am
Dear Maike99,

Thanks for posting your query to the ASRock forum.

So, right now you are trying to boot with Win10 installation USB disk, is this correct?

If yes, when the system boots up, kindly press the F11 button, a menu with storage devices will show up.

Select the "UEFI: Name of the Win10 boot disk" to start installing the Win10 from the USB disk.

If the USB device still does not show up, kindly try with different USB ports/USB disks.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 19 May 2020 at 11:54am
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 5:11am
I can boot from the USB drive by pressing F11 & selecting it. However it doesn't show up when looking at boot priority.

On my other PCs an actual priority list displays the disc drives and optical drive. The system will automatically boot from the drives in the order set in the priority list.

The ASRock mobo instructions say I can set priorities, but there is nothing to set because only the M.2 SSD is shown. I did install Win10 from the USB thumb drive, buy am curious why USB is not showing up in the priority listing. Did I miss some setup step?
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:12pm
Dear Mike99,

Thanks for the reply.

Since your motherboard is an OEM motherboard, kindly contact the OEM vendor to assist you with this problem.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by ASRock_TSD ASRock_TSD wrote:

Dear Mike99,

Thanks for the reply.

Since your motherboard is an OEM motherboard, kindly contact the OEM vendor to assist you with this problem.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Why do you say it's an OEM? It's a B365M Pro 4 that I just bought from Newegg.
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:52pm
Dear Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, there is a model that has the name without the Pro4.

We have checked the system with BIOS 4.20.
We are able to see the boot USB disk in the BIOS/Boot menu.

Please make sure that the USB disk is installed before booting.
If the problem persists, kindly load the BIOS to default first then:
1. Try the USB disk on a different port.
2. Try with a different USB disk.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 21 May 2020 at 4:21pm
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 8:45am
After I insert the USB it does show up in the boot menu.

But how do you set the USB boot priority so when powered up the PC automatically looks for a USB drive first & then the SSD? Like booting from a DVD where the PC checks the optical drive before it looks at the HHD.

ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:09am
Dear Mike99,

Thanks for the reply.
The default priorities would be:
1. SSD(With boot manager)
2. USB

Kindly adjust the Boot Option #1 to USB/DVD disk manually, the system will always boot from USB or DVD disk first.

However, if the DVD disk is not always plugged to the system.
Please press the "F11" button to call out the boot menu and select the device that you wish to boot from.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 22 May 2020 at 11:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic