ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P4i945GC ALways BSODs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brickstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P4i945GC ALways BSODs
    Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 12:45pm
I have a p4i945GC Socket 478 Motherboard:

The problem I am having is a strange issue with blue screening..

The setup is as follows:
CPU: P4 3.20GHZ with 1mb Cachce
Sata HD Seagate, 250GB

and two IDE CD/DVD Rom on the IDE bus Primary.

The RAM is AMPO PC2 6400 DDR2 Type Ram both 2046MB each which both are clocked down to 533Mhz by the auto settings in the BIOS: I have it set this way for safety operations and diagnostic purposes.

No overclocking of any sorts has been set and all optimal defaults are loaded except for the 32bit I/O Transfers on the IDE bios settings for the hard drive are enabled to allow 32bit chunk transfers.

The operating system is windows SP3 with all updates installed; but the issue started after I installed SP3.

During the instillation SP3 nearly at the end when it was finalizing there was a bluescreen.

That DMP file is damaged and I am unable to figure out what has happened in it.

Although I do have a bunch of mini dumps that I was hoping someone could help me analyze and figure out why this unit is bluescreening constantly..

the GPU Card installed is a NVidea GeForce 6200 TurboCache PCIe (Which has the latest Drivers for that particular item)

All the latest updates from the Asrock website for the drivers have been installed: I even went to Realtek and got the latest HD Drivers for this unit and that is installed too.

I am mind blown as to how this thing keeps blue screening so perhaps someone can help me analyze these dumps and figure out what may be the cause?

Do I have a bad motherboard?

or  is it possibly the ram? I know the ram is good: it was from a working computer which was tested out ok with MEMtest both passing.

The System I pulled that ram from never had blue screenings but is it possible the bluescreens are due to the fact there is faster ram installed on the system?

NOrmally ram just clocks down to a working safe point so the system is stable and able to run fine or would there still be a possible issue ?

Or is this all software related?

Please help; I cannot attach DMP files here so where can I put up the Minidumps so someone can check them?
I DO have my own Minidump analyzer program: would it be ok to analyze them and just paste what it says here?

Let me know because I don't want to just post a Spammy wall of text on this forum and upset anyone.

Kind Thanks,
                  E J

Edited by Brickstin - 10 Dec 2015 at 12:50pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 3:17pm
Given the age of your system my first suspicions would be power supply or hard disk. Now if the BSODs started with the installation of SP3 that would lean me more towards hard disk, I have owned a lot of Seagate drives and have noticed that drives in the 200gb - 500gb range both SATA 1 and SATA 2 versions seem prone to failure. Of the 6 drives I had in that bracket every last one has failed on me, the first symptoms I noticed were unexplained BSODs with a dmp file error that was so vague it could have been anything. Get your hands on something like HDTune and check the health of your drive, it is below 50% then it is very likely the drive that is on its way out. I have since switched to back to Western Digital due to my horrific experiences with Seagate's Barracuda drives. 

It's sad, I used to swear by Seagate but it seems their quality control has gone bottom line rather than satisfied customer, every last one of my failed drives failed within weeks of their warranty being up.

You can try and scan for and repair bad sectors, that could buy you a little more time with the drive it is the source of your BSODs but if you are below 50% drive health you really need to look at getting a replacement soon. With older Barracudas like yours they have a nasty tendency to just suddenly not initialize once they drop below 50% health.  
Brickstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brickstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Given the age of your system my first suspicions would be power supply or hard disk. Now if the BSODs started with the installation of SP3 that would lean me more towards hard disk, I have owned a lot of Seagate drives and have noticed that drives in the 200gb - 500gb range both SATA 1 and SATA 2 versions seem prone to failure. Of the 6 drives I had in that bracket every last one has failed on me, the first symptoms I noticed were unexplained BSODs with a dmp file error that was so vague it could have been anything. Get your hands on something like HDTune and check the health of your drive, it is below 50% then it is very likely the drive that is on its way out. I have since switched to back to Western Digital due to my horrific experiences with Seagate's Barracuda drives. 

It's sad, I used to swear by Seagate but it seems their quality control has gone bottom line rather than satisfied customer, every last one of my failed drives failed within weeks of their warranty being up.

You can try and scan for and repair bad sectors, that could buy you a little more time with the drive it is the source of your BSODs but if you are below 50% drive health you really need to look at getting a replacement soon. With older Barracudas like yours they have a nasty tendency to just suddenly not initialize once they drop below 50% health.  

The Motherboard is Brand New...
I've already done HDD scan: I use HD Sentinal which is a paid program and its the pro edition, ive already reinitialized the disk surface with a 3 phase passing and then did a write/read/write test and all that jazz Zeroing out  each sector.

There was no bad sectors and the unit is completely fine. I will re-test again.. but this hard drive is practically brand new and i stress tested it for 4 straight hours... The next is the RAM modcules.. mind you again the ram that is on there is faster then what the motherboard calls for and the max Speed support the DDR2 bus can handle is DDR2 667

The Ram that is on there was like 800 or something, I still have to Memtest that.

Again I would like to provide anyone with DUMP files.. I have analyzed some of them and 70% of it shows RTHD.sys or whatever.. meaning realtek.. it seems the motherboard might be bad or the driver is bad.. But i dont get it; because I have seen reviews on this unit on newegg and they have not had any issues with it.. So I might have to RMA this unit soon so within a week or so I am going to have to go back to my fiance's house and retrieve the unit and do some testing my self.. Scrap the entire operating system and start from scratch again.. I have to test the dimm modules my self and go through all that..

If anyone else has suggestions or any thoughts please let me know.

Kind thanks
               ,  E J

Edited by Brickstin - 12 Dec 2015 at 9:28am
tcsenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcsenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Brickstin Brickstin wrote:

The RAM is AMPO PC2 6400 DDR2 Type Ram both 2046MB each which both are clocked down to 533Mhz by the auto settings in the BIOS: I have it set this way for safety operations and diagnostic purposes.

AMPO (Wintec) used to sell a lot of modules/kits that were only supported by AMD (or other non-Intel) chipsets/processors, usually indicated in the model name of the kit (e.g. 3AMD2800-2G2K-R).  This wasn't a marketing gimmick; they would NOT run or properly configured on Intel chipsets due to Intel's lack of support for nx4 wide DRAM ICs typically used in these modules.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic