ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z97 Anniversary Fan speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z97 Anniversary Fan speed
    Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 2:58pm

Hi

Yesterday i replaced a MB for upgrade and I brought two fans 12x12 Arctc f12 pwn 4-pin from previous rig.
The fans are right and work fine, did their job and reported right speed information value
On this motherboard instead ( Asrock Z97 Anniversary ) report
high and low values ?‹quickly changes randomy
(with value reported absurd)
, both fans are mounted on two different chasis fan connector . Instead, the fan controller CPU report the right data value.
If I set the fans at full speed manual shows the correct value too.

In other mb bios ther is the setting for switch control from pwm to dc...ther'isent here?

This ever happened to anyone? Any hint?

Thanks in advantage and sorry for my english :)
Bibbio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:48am
So no one get crazy rpm reading values from pwm fans chasis? :(
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Bibbio Bibbio wrote:

Hi

Yesterday i replaced a MB for upgrade and I brought two fans 12x12 Arctc f12 pwn 4-pin from previous rig.
The fans are right and work fine, did their job and reported right speed information value
On this motherboard instead ( Asrock Z97 Anniversary ) report
high and low values ?�quickly changes randomy
(with value reported absurd)
, both fans are mounted on two different chasis fan connector . Instead, the fan controller CPU report the right data value.
If I set the fans at full speed manual shows the correct value too.

In other mb bios ther is the setting for switch control from pwm to dc...ther'isent here?

This ever happened to anyone? Any hint?

Thanks in advantage and sorry for my english :)

I have a different ASRock Z97 board than you do, a Z97 Extreme6, as well as other ASRock boards, a Z170 Extreme7+.

The Z97 Extreme6 board only has one four pin PWM chassis fan connector. I've used a few PWM fans on the four pin PWM Chassis fan header, and they all reported the correct fan speeds, with no absurd speeds shown.

The Z170 Extreme7+ board has four, four pin Chassis fan connectors, and this statement in the Specifications:

"All CPU/Chassis Fan Connectors can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use."

The Z170 Extreme7+ board is more than twice the price of the Z97 Anniversary board, so has more features like this, that your board does not have. So all of your four pin Chassis fan connectors may not be true PWM fan connections.

You know that the fan speeds are never exactly the same speed, and change plus and minus a small amount every few seconds, right? A 2000 RPM maximum PWM fan on the CPU FAN1 connector shows a low speed of 811 RPM and a high speed of 861 RPM over a minute of time. Other slower fans show speeds between 635 RPM and 672 RPM, for example.

The pin on the board's fan connector for the fan's speed is the same pin for three and four pin fans, so that is not the problem. Also, I have used PWM fans on three pin chassis fan connectors, and the fans worked fine and reported the correct speeds.

If you run more than one program at the same time, that sometimes will cause bad fan speed data to be read by one or more of the programs.

What program or programs do you use to see the fan's speeds?

When the fan speeds are absurd, is that in the BIOS/UEFI, in Windows, or both?

I think you checked the two Arctic F12 fan connections on the board to be sure they are connected right and the wires are not broken, right?

You are not using any fan splitter cables with the two fans that show absurd speeds, right?
Bibbio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 3:29pm

Hi,thanks for the reply :)

As fan reader i use SPeedFan,Asrock utility,Motherboard Monitor amd also from Bios,same result,swap between unrealistic rpm. (like 5000/12000 rpm swapping in less of 1 second..for example,random number at all) I ve also noted that,if from bios i set the 2 fans to full speed the value feedbaak rpm is correct for both fans.

The cpu 4 pin fan is fine.

Didnt use any splitter,2 chasis for 2 fans,i the F12 arctic im using spin right and work fine on othe rmb before i changed and updated with this.

I suspect too the chasis 4 pin pwm...are dumbor fake pin.
At least if cant autodetect cause its a "minor product" usually they put the bios setting.

Edited by Bibbio - 12 Dec 2015 at 3:29pm
Bibbio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:25pm
Forgot: If i set full manually full speed from bios,then save settings,re-enter bios...at full speed report correct value and not random number what change every second.

Bibbio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 5:42pm

Here a picture.
Fan 2 is CPU Fan and it's fine.

Fan 1 and 3 are Chasis Fan...from bios i get the same readings value.
Only if i set full speed the reading become right and show a correct rpm.

http://postimg.org/image/8nuyx7wn1/
Bibbio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 9:09pm
Look like im no the only with this troubles...
I hope the R&D will apply what they will discover at this motherboard too.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1392&PID=8055

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic