ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock 970M Pro3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock 970M Pro3
    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 3:27pm
Hello! I have replaced my old GA-78LMT-USB3 with ASRock 970M Pro3 and now I have a problem - my PC doesn't want to start from the first try. How does it look like - I push Power On button, all LEDs, keyboard and mouse are glowing, fans are spinning but the display is black and there is no speaker beep. If I hold Power On button to switch PC off and then press it again to turn it on everything loads just fine. My CPU is FX-8350 and my RAM is 2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 which is 16 GB. I have found an information that my CPU can handle 1866 MHz memory only if there are only 2 RAM slots on MB and both are used. If there are 4 slots (like on ASRock 970M Pro3) and only 2 of them are used then CPU can handle 1600 MHz memory. I have checked BIOS (latest available) settings and found out that there was XMP enabled so my memory was working on 1866 MHz. I turned it off and selected Auto mode. RAM turned to 1333 MHz mode which is most stable for DDR3 (like it was on GA-78LMT-USB3) but even this didn't help. I thought that there might be a problem with my RAM because memtest showed some errors so I put it in another PC and there were no errors in memtest. I tried to put another RAM in my PC - my old Kingston 4x2 GB (1333 MHz) and it worked just fine, PC starts from the first try everytime.
I thought that my Corsair RAM is incompatible with ASRock MB because I didn't find it in the list on official site but Kingston RAM isn't there either.
Any ideas why is it happening?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:52pm
just a quick point
the 8350 is rated at 1866 using two ram sticks (single sided) or technically called single rank
but downgrades to 1600 using 4 sticks (as this becomes dual ranked +dual channel) e.g. the cpu has more issues talking to 4 banks of memory chips than it can with two
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO with 2 or 4 ram slots on a board just what ram your using

anyways back to your issue

is this board brand new ?
have you tried the other pair of ram slots?
have you tried gently cleaning the ram sticks connectors with a pencil eraser?
have you tried removing and refitting the cpu?

all these suggestions can solve an issue with ram errors/problems

i buy and sell ddr3 ram so i have a little experiance with it .....
my test system with a 8120 cpu can happily run and test ddr3 2400, so its not definate that the am3+ cpus cant run ram at 1866+ speeds
but 1866 is the AMD guideline for 83XX series in DUAL CHANNEL single ranks
1600 is for DUAL CHANNEL double ranked (which is four sticks OR two sticks of dual ranked ((double sided as a rule of thumb))

Edited by datonyb - 05 Jul 2020 at 8:53pm
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Denvey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 2:38pm

I used information from this table when I was looking for an answer.
Now I have: FX-8350, available slots on MB - 4, used slots - 4, mixed single and dual rank 4x2 Gb, 1333 MHz.
I have no issues with this RAM configuration.

Then I change it to:
FX-8350, available slots on MB - 4, used slots - 2, dual channel dual rank. It is said that CPU supports this setup on 1600 MHz but even on 1333 MHz I can't start my PC from first time.

is this board brand new ? - Yes.
have you tried the other pair of ram slots? - Yes, didn't help.
have you tried gently cleaning the ram sticks connectors with a pencil eraser? - Yes, it didn't help.
have you tried removing and refitting the cpu? - I haven't done that yet.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic