ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z490M-ITX/ac / 10600K not hitting OC speeds.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astroflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z490M-ITX/ac / 10600K not hitting OC speeds.
    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:23am
Hi,

I'm trying to OC a 10600K on the Asrock Z490M-ITX/ac but am having an issue where the clock speeds sometimes are not hitting the core ratio I've specified in BIOS.

For example, with the core ratio set at 5Ghz, the clock is moving around between 4.5-5Ghz seemingly randomly, but never staying at 5Ghz.
I know it's not a thermal throttling issue because temps are below 80c under full load. Even when I just start a stress test it doesn't even start at 5Ghz.

Some games however seem to stay at 5Ghz for some reason..

I've only changed the CPU Vcore, CPU multiplier, and cache ratio, and applied XMP.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Degrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Degrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 6:21pm
Hi, I think the vrm's of this board are the bottleneck. When you are stressing all the cores while they are overclocked then the power demand is really high and this Will put a heavy burden on the power delivery of the board reaching probably too high temperatures resulting in throttling. Most games are not optimized very well for multithreading, so the power demand then is lower and that's why you can reach 5GHz steady.
The main disadvantage of a cheap Z490 mainboard is unfortunately the lower quality vrm's. They are just not powerful enough for overclocking K-cpu's and maybe even not for Asrock's own BFB technology for non K-cpu's.
See also this review of another cheap Z490 board from Biostar: [URL=https://www.anandtech.com/show/15824/the-biostar-racing-z490gtn-motherboard-review]https://www.anandtech.com/show/15824/the-biostar-racing-z490gtn-motherboard-review[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic