ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 Killer Sli/Ac 3700x upgrade failure.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BraumSkull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 Killer Sli/Ac 3700x upgrade failure.
    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:25pm
Have been running a 1700 and decided to grab a 3700x. I reset to bios defaults and then updated bios from 2.5 to 3.5 to 5.1 to 5.4 according to the yellow notes on bios page. 5.5 and 5.8 have this statement "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system." so I stopped at 5.4 since I may grab a x570 or better later and keep the x370 and 1700 as a spare and/or hand me down.

At this point I installed the 3700x but it hung on the Asrock logo for more than 10 minutes. I tried the clear cmos jumper with no luck but was going by the manual and only left the jumper for 5-10 seconds. After some sleep I will try removing the battery and leaving the jumper for 15 minutes as suggested in a video produced by asrock about bios updates. I have got to bios a few times with the 3700x but it bsod's at windows login.

Hopefully wile I'm asleep someone can explain the "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system." statement a bit better. The use of recommend makes me think they simply didn't test it with the others but I would really like to know for sure before I decide what to do. Anyone here running a 1st gen on 5.5 or 5.8?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 9:52pm
i may be able to offer some experianced help here

i have the taichi x370 (it was refered to a few times as the sister board to yours) so is very similar including bios DNA

i too upgraded from the 1700 but to a 3800x

firstly the taichi later bios have the same warning , but they do work with early ryzens (the warning seems to be advice not to bother upgrading if intending to use 1xxx cpus as there is no benefit and you run a risk of a bad bios flash or slightly weaker performance than with bios designed just for 1xxx)

now as to your issue i had a few problems myself let me just explain what happened and what i done to cure it

i used the 1700 to upgrade from bios 3.1 (a first gen only bios)which has worked fine for 2 years
i had to flash the bridge bios to second gen ryzens similar to yourself
i then flashed to the first version for ryzen 3xxx (as per instructions this i think was another bridge bios for 3rd gen )
i then flashed to the latest stable and proven 3xxx bios which was 5.8 (for taichi)
tested reboots at every stage using my 1700

may i add when i flash bios i not only reset defaults and test boot to bios then windows, BUT I ONLY USE 1 STICK OF RAM in slot a2 this decreases the chance of a bad data read in the same way we turn off xmp etc (e.g. make the system as stable as we can)

now i was at the stage of latest bios for 3xxx and still using my 1700 perfectly

i then swapped cpu to the 3800 and tried to start system, waited the usual first boot delay for ram training etc but was stuck in post..........

the cause was using two sticks of ram
my system to this day will not perform a initial post after a bios clear/reset unless i use just one stick in a2 to do THE FIRST INITIAL BOOT
after this i can throw in two sticks , fire up very tight 3600mhz cl16 timings and its stable as anything

it is just the very first boot after a bios reset

in conclusion i suggest
flash a later bios using the 1700
do the first boot with 1 ram stick to let it memory train itself
then add the second ram stick

lastly forget the clr cmos jumpers and buttons on case
they realy are rubbish
unplug the case from the wall and then remove the coin battery from the mainboard for 10 mins and press and hold the case power button a few times , this will properly discharge the capacitors and reset the bios
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
BraumSkull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BraumSkull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:46am
5.8 seems to have done the trick. Got to windows and ran heaven 4.0 without crashing. Couldn't get past login on 5.4. Now to find the latest memtest and see if it can at least run xmp 3200 14. This board seems notorious for not going past 2933 but cant find much if any mention of anyone trying with 2xxx or 3xxx. I've got b die so hopefully I'll get 3600 16. Now I'm off to try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic