ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 OC Formula - Error 53 (Memory)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinball02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 OC Formula - Error 53 (Memory)
    Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 3:11am
Received a MB error 53 on first attempt at boot after build.  Using i7-6700k with G.Skill F4-3600C17D-16GVK.  I've attempted a few things so far:  cmos reset (jumper method), re-insert/lock memory in place, switching places, removing 1 stick; but still consistently getting the 53.  G.Skill website shows this memory is tested with this MB.  Not sure how to move forward with debugging.  Suggestions?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 3:41am
Sorry, but I have to ask as this is new build. No harm, no foul, Right

I'm not so sure the DR Debug would even display anything if found this way but .........

You did remember to plug both the 8-pin CPU*ATX12V1) and 4-pin(ATX12V2) power into the uppermost edge of the MB, right?

Yea, G.Skill shows this memory compatible. Check
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2484&model=2545
btw, two thumbs up for using G.Skill

i7-6700K is supported by ALL BIOS versions. Check

Please list out your hardware used so we might have a better idea at maybe diagnosing this in a forum. Blind as we are here.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 3:45am
I kept this for another post.

In the lower RIGHT left of the board, directly above the A<>B BIOS Switch are your two BIOS chips. One or both have a white sticker over them.

What does the sticker say?

And FYI, this writing will represent the BIOS revision it was flashed to when shipped.

EDITED due to my stupidity. Your other left wardog

Edited by wardog - 16 Dec 2015 at 3:47am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 3:55am
It could be that the RAM was tested with a newer BIOS revision than your board currently has as Wardog suggested. There is also the slight possibility that it could be either bent pins on the socket or the CPU isn't seated properly, it can't hurt to check. 
Pinball02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinball02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 5:58am
Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

The BIOS chips both say P1.30.
I do have 8 pin and 4 pin power plugged in, although I had to get an adapter (older style 4 pin to ATX12v2) for the 4pin.

It appears that the current version is 1.90 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20OC%20Formula/?cat=Download&os=BIOS), and several releases notes list DD4 OC support so that looks likely.  I'll see if I can figure out how to update the BIOS prior to boot and let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks again for the assistance!
Pinball02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinball02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 7:07am
Ok, I've saved the 1.90 BIOS to a USB drive, but I'm not getting far enough in the boot process to bring up the BIOS screens.  Any suggestions?

Hardware of note:
ASRock z170 OC Formula
i7-6700k
G.Skill F4-3600C17D-16GVK
Deepcool Assassin II
EVGA GTX980ti (SC+ version)
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Acer XB270HU

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 7:54am
How far is it getting? To the colorful ASRock screen?

Have a friend with some lower MHz memory that you might borrow for five minutes?
Pinball02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinball02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 11:58am
Ok, posting a quick update.  I found some DDR4 2400 memory which works great (was able to boot, install OS, everything works).  Updated the BIOS to 1.9, everything still works, switched back to the DDR4 3600 memory and nothing works.  Boot doesn't get far enough to get into the BIOS, MB error 53.  I'm guessing that I should RMA the 3600s.  Thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic