ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reset/Reboot Problems on B150M PRO4S/D3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote braint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reset/Reboot Problems on B150M PRO4S/D3
    Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 8:23am
Hi There,

I'm having a problem with my new B150M PRO4S/D3, updated to the latest bios version (1.50).
The problem is, when I either reboot the PC (e.g. from windows), or if I hit the reset button. I'm left with a blank screen (on either DVI or HDMI output), and the machine appears to have hung (fans whirring, but no activity). If I power off and on the machine, everything works fine. I'm not happy with having to keep power cycling the machine every time I need to reset (e.g. driver updates), so wanted to see if this was a known issue that will be fixed with a BIOS update, or whether I need to return the motherboard under warranty.

Full system details:

Motherboard: B150M PRO4S/D3 (BIOS version 1.50)
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) CORSAIR VENGENCE LP CML16GX3M2A1600C10
Antec 350W power supply
USB Keyboard + Mouse

and that's it... I've taken the system back to bare-bones to rule out any other hardware causing issues.

Regards,

Brian
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 3:44pm
What specific model number is your Antec PSU, and how old is it?

Also, double check the wiring leading from your case to the MB's System Panel Header.
braint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote braint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 12:21am
Power supply is a Antec AR352. It's about 4 years old. It has been relatively lightly used, and have not had any problem on the motherboard used with it in the past.

I will try an alternative supply (in another case), however, if it were a power supply issue, I would have expected it to cause more issues from a cold boot (bigger in-rush current), than a reset.

Cheers,

Brian
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 1:45am
Good. You have different PSU to test with.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 3:28am
If it is suffering voltage droop then no, you would see the issues only once the unit is fully powered. As you said, cold boot causes a surge which could be resulting in sufficient power to initialize the system where on a reset the board is detecting inadequate voltage delivery and preventing it. I am not saying that it is definitely the problem, only that it could be.
braint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote braint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 7:17pm
Right, all sorted.

Feel a bit foolish, but as I was about to swap power supplies I had a feeling that I didn't do a clear CMOS after the BIOS update... Turns out I was right! after clearing the CMOS, the reset problem was gone!!! all working fine now. Again, interesting that there was no problem with a cold boot, but there was with a reset!

Anyway. Lesson learned. hopefully this will serve as a useful bit of info for anyone else that has similar reset issues in the future!

Thanks for the suggestions/thoughts wardog/Xaltar.

Cheers,

Brian
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 7:22pm
Good to hear and thanks for posting your solution Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic