ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 OC Formula Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 OC Formula Issues
    Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 10:01am
Hi,

I am really hoping for some help. Ever since I have got my new system together it has been a pain. I am not sure what else to do. First, here is the hardware I am working with:
CPU: i5 6600K 3.5mhz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H200i
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 OC Formula
Memory: Kingston DDR4 Savage 3000mhz 32GB 
SSD: Plextor 1TB M6V
PSU: be quiet dark power pro 11 850 W
GPU: Zotac GTX 980 Amp

When first installed the memory it defaults to the Jedec, 2133mhz with the 32GB installed. The system will run fine. I can run Aida64 stability test with no errors. When I go to select XMP profile 1, which is 3000 mhz 15-16-16-39, 1.35v, it is stable for a few minutes and then I will get random BSODs.

If I only use two sticks of memory at the XMP profile it runs fine. I have tried every slot and every configuration, all works this way.

Memtest fails on every stick at test 6. This memory has worked in other motherboards.

I have tried increasing voltages for DRAM, same issue.

I thought maybe Windows 10 may be the problem. I reinstalled Windows and it works fine, but only at the Jedec again.

I've cleared the CMOS on multiple occasions.

There are four sets of lights at the top of the board. I am receiving the second and third LEDs at random times. 

No dr debug codes. If it fails to post, which sometimes happens after changing voltages, it will loop 00 31 4C. Until I reset CMOS.

I have upgraded bios from 1.90 to 1.92. No luck.

I have tried everything I can think of, short of buying all new hardware to test.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 6:00pm
Four sticks of memory above, and well beyond(3000) in this instance, what the CPU is rated for while using two sticks, stresses out the memory controller.

Refer to the below post by "parsec" for some tips and pointers that may, may, get your four sticks running there. I dunno about 3000, as that is totally dependent on your silicon. But running four it will.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1517&PID=7268&title=problems-with-z170m-pro4s#7268
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Jabroni Jabroni wrote:

Memtest fails on every stick at test 6.

Ewww

Are you saying with only one stick installed Memtest fails?
Jabroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 8:04pm
Well that would explain why two sticks always runs fine, and why the four sticks run fine at low frequencies.

I have only tried memtest with all four sticks, it was ugly - 5,000 some odd errors.

Do you know of any reading material on the i5 not being able to handle 4 sticks at 3000mhz?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Jabroni Jabroni wrote:

Do you know of any reading material on the i5 not being able to handle 4 sticks at 3000mhz?

Not being able to handle 4 sticks at 3000MHz? Heh, it'd be easier to find articles/posts where one had to overvolt the piss out of their CPU to handle 4 @ 3000. Your "not' there, again, is totally dependent on the CPU luck of the draw when it comes to not all silicon is created equal.

Follow parsec's advice re "My suggestions for using all four DIMMs are:" on the above linked post of his. Too, scroll up to the top and I posted an Asus ROG Guide that should shed some insight on to what you'll be needing doing with those four sticks.
Jabroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 11:38pm
Sorry just reading through Parsec's advice. I have tried increase memory voltage to 1.4, vccsa to 1.35 and vccio to 1.35, timings at auto, frequency at 3000mhz, previously and it still came up with same issues. I did this while keeping the CPU/motherboard at stock settings.
Jabroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 8:01pm
I should also clarify that I am using AIDA64 to stability test my system.

After increasing DRAM voltages, the stability test fails after about 2 minutes saying it detected a hardware failure.

Windows 10 remains useable, it doesn't crash.
Jabroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 7:37am
Ok so by increasing the VCCSA I was able to get the 3000mhz to pass the SuperPI 32mb test.

I have been trying to work through the HCI memtest, running four instances at 2048mb of RAM in each one (max memtest will let me use, otherwise says cannot allocate) and it is still giving me errors. I can keep increasing VCCSA, but I feel as though it is going to get excessive.

Any thoughts?

Edit*: Also for kicks and giggles I thought about running at the XMP profile 2 which is the 2666mhz with tighter timings and it was stable. Passed every test I could throw at it.

Edited by Jabroni - 28 Dec 2015 at 7:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic