ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - N3150-ITX USB3.0 (ASMedia ASM1074) UAS Linux Error
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

N3150-ITX USB3.0 (ASMedia ASM1074) UAS Linux Error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cddm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N3150-ITX USB3.0 (ASMedia ASM1074) UAS Linux Error
    Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 7:04pm
Hey there,

since i used the ASRock E-Mail support 6 years ago - and it was the best mainboard support i've ever got - i'm now trying my luck in your forum.

I've bought an ASRock N3150-ITX (BIOS 1.30) for my NAS project, now running Ubuntu 15.10 Server x64. 
Since i use the four SATA Ports for 8 TB drives i'm using an USB3.0 micro thumb drive for the OS
and an 256 GB USB3.0 SSD as disk cache.

The problem is that it seems that the ASMedia ASM1074 USB3.0 (like ASM1051/ASM1053) hub is hardware bugged. 
If an UASP device is connected it keeps resetting (every ~30 seconds) or freezing the whole system. (Streams seem to be broken on the ASMedia ASM1074 and older)

The current solution for my problem is to compile an current kernel without UAS support. 
(Older ASMedia Chips get detected by the kernel driver and uas is disabled automatically). 
Resulting in massive performance loss.

It looks like this is an common problem with ASMedia USB3.0 chips:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2014-November/050256.html
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1437492
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1271268
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5400.0

Any help? :)

Edited by cddm - 23 Dec 2015 at 7:05pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 7:42pm
Your board lists 2 intel USB 3.0 ports as well as the 2 Asmedia ones, have you tried utilizing the intel ones instead or is that not possible in your situation for some reason?

By the looks of it the issue stems from driver problems on the platform?   
cddm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cddm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Your board lists 2 intel USB 3.0 ports as well as the 2 Asmedia ones, have you tried utilizing the intel ones instead or is that not possible in your situation for some reason?

Hey there, thanks for your fast answer

Thats a great idea, but which ones are the Intel USB3.0 Ports?

The specsheet on your website lists:

4 x USB 3.0 Ports (ASMedia ASM1074 hub)
1 x USB 3.0 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.0 ports, USB3_3_4 is shared with USB_5_6..)

the internal pin header is asmedia powered.

After all forum posts and kernel.org mailing lists post i've read i think that this is an hardware bug (the same the older asmedia usb3.0 controllers have). Current Windows (10) versions just disable UAS support, same as linux kernel for older asmedia usb controllers. For this controller there is no "disable uas" workarround in the kernel yet. (I'm currently using most current Kernel 4.4-rc6 (with manually disabled uas module), stock kernel have the same problem).

Edited by cddm - 23 Dec 2015 at 8:30pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 8:58pm
This is just a guess but I would suspect that the ports under the LAN connector should be the intel ones. At least that what it looks like in your user manual.
cddm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cddm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 10:52pm

This is just a guess but I would suspect that the ports under the LAN connector should be the intel ones. At least that what it looks like in your user manual.

I'll try when i'm back home. But if this is is true (i hope so) then your manual and website spec sheet is wrong (both say: "Rear Panel I/O: 4 x USB 3.0 Ports (ASMedia ASM1074 hub)")

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 11:03pm
That is interesting because the info on the site product page says different. Hopefully the site has the correct info and the manual is incorrect. 

On a side note, the moderators here are not employed by ASRock and in no way speak for ASRock. We do however do our best to help where we can Smile If you have an issue that the forums cannot help you with then you can always try Tech Support directly. "ASRock_TSD" is the Tech support rep on the forums.
cddm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cddm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 12:37am

That is interesting because the info on the site product page says different. Hopefully the site has the correct info and the manual is incorrect. 

On a side note, the moderators here are not employed by ASRock and in no way speak for ASRock. We do however do our best to help where we can Smile If you have an issue that the forums cannot help you with then you can always try Tech Support directly. "ASRock_TSD" is the Tech support rep on the forums.

Ah okay, i thought you get paid for your help Ouch

I checked it and it looks like all USB3 ports are asmedia powered. No Intel Braswell USB3.0 port.

I will contact asrock support directly.. Thanks for your help!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 1:18am
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I had hoped that there were intel ports.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 5:53pm
Greetings, this is ASRock Technical Support Department.

The front panel USB3.0 of N3150-ITX are from Intel resource.
On your case, we recommend you to connect to front panel for try.

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic