ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need some help sorting out suitable motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some help sorting out suitable motherboards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stonelesscutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help sorting out suitable motherboards
    Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 10:16am
Hello all!

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section. I just signed up to ask this question.

I'm having trouble finding out which ASRock motherboards offer the specs I'm looking for. I'm hoping someone here will be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a motherboard that comes equipped with a HDMI 2.0 port and an LGA1151 socket. Preferably a mini-itx or a micro-atx form factor with a H170 or Z170 chipset. Other keywords that would be of interest to me are DDR4, USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt.

Does ASRock have any motherboards to offer that include the above mentioned specs?
How do I find out which ones are suitable without looking at every individual board one by one?

The reason I'm looking for this is because I'm considering building a small PC to connect to my TV and possibly use as a media server. It won't be used for any gaming, at least that's not the intention. I hope someone can help me out.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 2:23pm
Here are the ITX boards for the LGA 1151 socket based on the Z170 and H170 chipsets:

There are a few others but they are based on the B150 and H110 chipsets. 

The only one of those that might support HDMI 2.0 is the Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac and I say might because it has USB 3.1 which according to an erroneous post I found on redit uses a controller that can also provide HDMI 2.0 support. What I know for certain is that no 100 series chipset supports native HDMI 2.0, an additional controller needs to be added to facilitate this. What you can do however is use a display port to HDMI converter which apparently will give you an HDMI 2.0 output.

Edited by Xaltar - 26 Dec 2015 at 2:24pm
Stonelesscutter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stonelesscutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 7:09pm
Thanks @Xaltar.

That board does specify 4096x2160 @60Hz. I see it has 2 HDMI ports. Presumably one of them is HDMI 1.4 and the other 2.0.
Stonelesscutter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stonelesscutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

What you can do however is use a display port to HDMI converter which apparently will give you an HDMI 2.0 output.

Is this converter something you add to the motherboard or is it something you connect on the outside to the displayport?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 8:15pm
So far as I am aware it is an external adapter that converts display port to HDMI.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic