ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

iRST enable/disable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swerve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iRST enable/disable
    Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 6:41pm
Hi,

I'm having issues figuring out whether intel rapid start technology is disabled on my asrock z68 extreme4 gen3 motherboard. I'm running the latest BIOS version. When I go to disable iRST it appears enabled in the bios but I can't click "enabled" to disable or use the arrow keys to select the "enabled" box... Is it already disabled because I'm not making use of it (no partition for it to use anyway)? Is there any other way to disable it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
kamild1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamild1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 2:08am
Welcome, I've arrived to finally answer your question lol

I was also wondering why was my motherboard not letting me change the setting. After reading the manual I found out that I had SATA mode still set to IDE. After changing it to AHCI, I was gained control over the setting. Just letting you and everyone else know in case if someone had a similar issue.

I wanted to enable Rapid Start but I didn't check it further - seems like it's abandoned by Intel, and there's no driver for Windows 10. Which makes me thinking why is there a Rapid Start Utility on ASRock P67 Pro3's download section for WX...

Edited by kamild1996 - 26 Aug 2016 at 3:05am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 12:00pm
Yea, Intel abandoned it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21612/Intel-Rapid-Start-Technology

IntelĀ® Rapid Start Technology

Version: 3.0.0.1053 (Latest) Date: 10/14/2013
End of Interactive Support Notice: Intel no longer provides email, chat or phone support for this product.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 1:36pm
Strange, there are iRST Utility programs listed for download for Windows 10 for some ASRock Z97, Z87, and Z77 mother boards. For example:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

All it is, is Intel's version of Windows Hibernate mode. Might work better, never tried it.
kamild1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamild1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Strange, there are iRST Utility programs listed for download for Windows 10 for some ASRock Z97, Z87, and Z77 mother boards. For example:

Yeah, seems like the utility was updated, although all it does is create a hidden partition for Rapid Start to use (it destroyed my system partition once so if you want to try it, make a backup; I didn't and I paid for it). To make Rapid Start work though, the driver is needed, and that driver seems to support only Windows 7 and older.
I wanted to try this feature mostly because my PC tends to automatically wake up from sleep/hibernation and I was unable to diagnose why is it happening. Until yesterday probably since looks like I actually figured it out so :)
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 2:37pm
I now, strange. I loaded it on my Z77 to test. Wasn't impressed. Uninstalled.

But, look inside the Win10x64 iRST download you linked:

RapidStart(v1.0.7) Dated 9/26/2013  !

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

All it is, is Intel's version of Windows Hibernate mode. Might work better, never tried it.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by kamild1996 kamild1996 wrote:

To make Rapid Start work though, the driver is needed, and that driver seems to support only Windows 7 and older.

Writing at the same time we are :)

re: "support only Windows 7"

Rut roh, Scooby ... er, um ASRock. Seems ASRock judiciously includes iRST as a Win10 download when they shouldn't.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21612/Intel-Rapid-Start-Technology
Quote Available Downloads
Windows 7, 32-bit*
Windows 7, 64-bit*
Windows 8, 32-bit*
Windows 8, 64-bit*
Windows 8.1, 32-bit*
Windows 8.1, 64-bit*

I don't see support for Windows 10. Anyone else????Dead

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic