ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Core i5 6600T Cache Speed reduced when using SkyOC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Core i5 6600T Cache Speed reduced when using SkyOC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Skylinestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylinestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Core i5 6600T Cache Speed reduced when using SkyOC
    Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

This thread is a bit old but I have learned a bit about sky OC since I last posted in here. 

Enabling Sky-OC lowers the cache multiplier to allow more overclocking headroom. This is by design. If this were not the case your cache multiplier would be locked at the maximum turbo multiplier of the CPU, not an issue on pentium and celeron class CPUs where this is 1:1 but on all CPUs with turbo boost it can result in obscenely high cache frequencies.

For example:

i5 6400
Stock core multiplier: 27
Turbo core multiplier: 33
Cache multiplier: 33

Without Sky-OC enabled (feature no longer supported) the cache multiplier remains at 33 while the core multi is locked at 27 so the result:

BCLK: 150 
Core: 150 x 27 =  4.05ghz
Cache: 150 x 33 = 4.95ghz 

And the difference between core and cache frequencies grows even further the higher you set your BCLK. This means that your cache will hold back your OC headroom long before you reach the maximum OC your core can handle. With Sky-OC enabled however the cache multiplier is lowered to a point where it will not hold back your overclocking potential. The problem is that it does lower your cache performance quite significantly until reach or surpass the stock Cache frequency by raising your BCLK.

Sky-OC has been discontinued by ASRock and is no longer supported so use at your own risk if your board still has the feature.

Hi. Just wanna chime in after I update my Z170 Gaming K6 (paired with i5 6500 cpu) to the latest UEFI P7.40 (for the sake of meltdown/spectre patch). The SkyOC feature is still there but the cache multiplier preset itself to the highest value. This is crazy.

Because of this, i'm now unable to overclock. Sigh. RIP SkyOC.

Before (P7.20):

Now (P7.40) - notice the high cache clock:

Edited by Skylinestar - 18 May 2018 at 1:28pm
- ASrock Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 (BIOS v2.10)
- Intel Core i5 6500 (stock)
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GBx2 (CMK8GX4M2A2666C16R) (2133 stock)
- Crucial M4 128GB SSD (CT128M4SSD2)
- Corsair GS700 PSU
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 3:09am
This thread is a bit old but I have learned a bit about sky OC since I last posted in here. 

Enabling Sky-OC lowers the cache multiplier to allow more overclocking headroom. This is by design. If this were not the case your cache multiplier would be locked at the maximum turbo multiplier of the CPU, not an issue on pentium and celeron class CPUs where this is 1:1 but on all CPUs with turbo boost it can result in obscenely high cache frequencies.

For example:

i5 6400
Stock core multiplier: 27
Turbo core multiplier: 33
Cache multiplier: 33

Without Sky-OC enabled (feature no longer supported) the cache multiplier remains at 33 while the core multi is locked at 27 so the result:

BCLK: 150 
Core: 150 x 27 =  4.05ghz
Cache: 150 x 33 = 4.95ghz 

And the difference between core and cache frequencies grows even further the higher you set your BCLK. This means that your cache will hold back your OC headroom long before you reach the maximum OC your core can handle. With Sky-OC enabled however the cache multiplier is lowered to a point where it will not hold back your overclocking potential. The problem is that it does lower your cache performance quite significantly until reach or surpass the stock Cache frequency by raising your BCLK.

Sky-OC has been discontinued by ASRock and is no longer supported so use at your own risk if your board still has the feature.

Edited by Xaltar - 22 Nov 2016 at 3:11am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Nimbus Nimbus wrote:

Sorry to necropost but I have the same problem. Aida and Memtest shows low cache speed when BCLK overclock. May somebody help me with that?

You've given us zero information about your situation. Which mother board and CPU you use, the BCLK, CPU Core Ratio, Cache Ratio, and memory speed settings.

What cache speed do you see in Aida and Memtest, that is different than what you see elsewhere? What other programs are you using to monitor the CPU and cache speed? Do you see the correct Cache clock speed in the UEFI/BIOS, and in other programs besides Aida and Memtest?

Don't forget when BCLK over clocking, you sacrifice some of the processor monitoring values, like VCore. But I've never heard of the Cache clock value being read wrong.
Nimbus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 1:19am
Sorry to necropost but I have the same problem. Aida and Memtest shows low cache speed when BCLK overclock. May somebody help me with that?
SteveRo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:17pm
Just now turned a "ticket" into Aida.
SteveRo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 6:05am
^^ thanks for that - maybe i should post something over at aida?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 5:41am
Those scores look about right. My 6600K gets 1921 single core at its maximum boost of 3.9 and ~7100 multi core @3.6ghz. I don't have a Z chipset board to try overclocking for comparison at the moment though.
SteveRo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 3:05am
I'm beginning to think this might just be a aida problem, performance scaling according to cpuz bench is about what i would expect - it would still be good to compare these numbers to an oc'd 6600k though - so below is left to right - 3.3ghz memory @ 3200C16, skyoc 3.3ghz ~3200C16, skyoc 4ghz ~3200C16, skyoc 4.4ghz ~3200C16 and lastly on the far right - 4.8ghz ~1900C19.  Anything beyond 4.4ghz requires slowing the memory way down - i think this is due to uncore running at 1 to 1 with the core clock.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 3:00am
No need, clearly there are performance gains and they look to be within the realms of what I would expect to see with an overclock of 500 - 700mhz. It would seem that only certain workloads would be effected by the lower cache performance. I guess so long as you are not performing any of those tasks the overclock is still well worth it.

Thanks for all the time you have put into this, I will PM tech support and point them to this thread Thumbs Up
MageTank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MageTank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Try running the built in benchmark on CPUz and see what difference it makes. You can compare the G4400 overclocked and stock performance and see if the percentage increase lines up with the i5.

My 6600T goes from 1600 single thread, to 2000 single thread. It then goes from 6500 multi thread, to 8000 multi thread. This is from a 50% BCLK adjustment. Though to be fair, CPU was boosting to 3.5 on single thread test, and 3.3 on multi thread, so the difference between the two were only 500mhz and 700mhz respectively. 

It will take me some time to swap back to my pentium and test, as this is an ITX case and a little difficult to work in. I'll try to get the results for you though.

Edited by MageTank - 08 Jan 2016 at 2:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic