ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Windows 10 Fresh Install (X99M & Samsung Pro 950)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 Fresh Install (X99M & Samsung Pro 950)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daedalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10 Fresh Install (X99M & Samsung Pro 950)
    Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 12:06pm
Hello all,  long time tech enthusiast first time builder here!

So I am currently trying to install a fresh copy of windows 10 to a 950 pro as the boot drive, no other drives are currently installed at all. Inside the bios (Version 1.90) I did confirm CSM was enabled along with the oprom policy being set to uefi. The installation seems to proceed as normal but when actually trying to select/format the NVME drive it is alerting me that the disk may not be enabled. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn this into a boot drive? 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:11pm
You seem to have the X99M Killer board, not the Killer/3.1 version, correct?

I assume the 950 Pro is being used in the Ultra M.2 port?

You lost me on the disk may not be enabled, I've never seen that happen with my 950 Pro.

What are you using as the Windows 10 installation media?

Did you select a standard or Custom installation?

I normally use a custom installation, and the 950 Pro is shown as it is the only drive in the PC. So I don't understand the selection part of the problem.

What are you doing to format the 950? I simply click on the New button, and let the Windows installer perform the formatting. At what point do you see the disk may not be enabled message? Do you have any indication in the Windows installer that the 950 is recognized?

In the UEFI/BIOS, in the Tools section, if you start the System Browser tool, do you see the 950 shown there?
Daedalus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daedalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:49pm
Correct I'm running the non 3.1 version. And yes the 950 is in the m2 port, no Sata cablessed connected to anything else either (though that shouldn't matter either way). My installation is being done from usb, I have tried both the headers on the case as well as the actual mobo, both seem to take normally. I was trying to do it as a custom install, it seems to find the drive because there is a partition there by default but attempting to format it directly from the windows installer fails. The actual message occurs at this point (partition creation screen). As far as confirming if it was listed in the system browser I'm not 100% certain here because I'm going from memory but I would swear that I did find it under the browser, I will confirm that as soon as I'm near the computer again in a few hours though.
Daedalus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daedalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 9:35pm
So I went and confirmed and yes it shows under the browser as well as under the boot priorities list. And some more specificstuff on the error message, it's telling me "windows cannot be installed to this disk the computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disks controller is enabled in the bios menu"

Edited by Daedalus - 06 Jan 2016 at 9:40pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 10:41pm
It sounds like the problem is the Windows installer cannot find the NVMe driver needed for a 950 Pro. But that makes no sense, since Windows 10 has a native NVMe driver. If you were using Windows 7, then it would make sense since Win 7 does not have an NVMe driver.

The Samsung NVMe driver as it is supplied from Samsung is not the style that is used for the Load Driver option. I've read that some users have extracted the individual files for use during the Load Driver phase, but that should not be necessary.

You said you had CSM Enabled, and the Launch UEFI Storage OpROM Policy set to UEFI Only.

When you select the USB Win 10 installation media in the Boot order list, be sure to select the entry that looks like, "UEFI: <flash drive name>", where flash drive name is simply the name that appears for the flash drive. You may see another entry with "AHCI: <flash drive name>, which you do NOT want to select in the Boot order. The same goes for "RAID:" if you are using RAID mode.

Did you select the flash drive in the Boot order?
Daedalus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daedalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 11:25pm
Ah yes I just figured it out that KS for the tip, it turns out even though it was set to uefi the preference order wasn't right so it tried to boot from the usb as legacy instead! Thank you much!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic