ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Full Boot after PCIe Power connector

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Full Boot after PCIe Power connector
    Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 4:47am
I'm building a machine with:

ASRock X99 Extreme 4
2x8GB Crucial Memory (Slots A1 and D1)
MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G
Seagate Laptop Thin ST500LT012 500 GB

I had it running and installed Windows 7, drivers, etc.  I was also trying to use an EVGA GeForce GT 630 for a second monitor.  The computer saw the EVGA card, but I couldn't get any video out of it.  I thought it might work if I hooked the PSU to the PCIe power connector just above PCI Slot 1.  When I restarted the machine, it powered up for just a few seconds and then died.  I tried it again with the same result.

Since then, I disconnected the PCI power connector.  The machine powers up, but I get nothing on either monitor (including the boot-up messages to modify  or update BIOS).  I've re-checked the RAM; I've tried pulling each graphics card and running with only one installed.  When I initially start the machine, the HD light comes on for a second, but then it goes out. 

As I've been writing this, the machine has stayed powered up for several minutes at a time, then it shuts itself off and restarts.

Any ideas?  I'm hoping I just fried the RAM, because that'd be a relatively easy fix.

Thanks,

Ken
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 11:15am
Originally posted by KenG KenG wrote:

I'm hoping I just fried the RAM, because that'd be a relatively easy fix.

Ken, you seem to have a problem with power, whether it be the boards delivery(not good), or the PSU(easily remedied) itself.

Yet strangely you fail to list what your PSU is, its Model Number, and its age. Care to do that please?

I'm always stumped when people don't list out their PSU, as I well know that it happens to be the last item upgraded and also the last item to be considered to be at fault. It seems everyone takes their PSU for granted. Re-using it year after year allthewhile upgrading the other components many times over.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 11:24am
Another thing that will cause out of the blue shutdowns is memory.

Check that Crucial certifies your memory for your board HERE, check that it is in the correct two of eight slots, and you might also reseat both sticks too as that is another common issue.

Also, are you running the latest NON-beta Production BIOS on your motherboard? The X99 is a new'ish platform and manufacturers are yet playing catch up with all the new DDR4 coming to market by issuing BIOS revisions on a regular basis.

Edited by wardog - 08 Jan 2016 at 11:25am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 1:40pm
It's strange connecting the extra power connector for the PCIe slots seemed to cause a major issue for you. All that connector should do is supply more +12V power to the PCIe slots.

Normally if more power is required for video cards, a warning message is displayed. But I don't think connecting your PSU to that connector would cause a problem if more power was not needed. Your idea is logical since a '630 video card only uses power from the PCIe slot. The manual states connecting power to the connector should be done when using more than three video cards, but does not give any warnings about its use.

Did you try clearing the UEFI/BIOS after removing the power cable from that connector?

Do you have a POST code beep speaker connected to the board? If not, trying one might give you a clue about what is wrong.

Can you test the video cards in another PC? I hope they are not damaged, but you never know.

I don't understand why you think the memory may be damaged, except for the close proximity of that connector to the memory. The memory voltage regulators aren't near that power connector.

I hope that connecting a cable to that connector did not cause it to short circuit on the mother board tray of the PC case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic