ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

having issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rostons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: having issues
    Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 8:31am
So I put my machine together and when i turn on the power all I get is error 0 problem with you CPU. I can't seem to  get past this. So I am posting here hoping for some help.
Here is what I have. 
Z170Extreme7+
skylake 6700k 
corsair RM 750x
TridentZ ddr 4 
Gefore GTX 970
dynatron cpu fan ITEM :K5(RoHS)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 2:38pm
Not much to go on so starting with the basics, and no idea about your PC building experience.

Yes, POST code 0 is a problem with the CPU, it is not working. Very rare to get a DOA CPU.

Do you have the 4/8 pin CPU power cable from the PSU connected to the board? Essential for the CPU to function.

You must connect the correct cable from the PSU to the CPU power connector. An eight pin PCIe power cable should not fit in the CPU power socket, but your modular PSU's connections look like either cable can be connected to the PSU's CPU power output. The CPU power cable is a 4+4 design, anything else is the wrong cable. It does make a difference!

One cause of a "dead" processor is the CPU cooler is mounted to tight, and the contacts in the socket are moved off the contact pads on the CPU. The contact problem can also happen when the CPU cooler in not mounted correctly. For example, if the CPU cooler backplate is not installed correctly. The K5's backplate is simply two small metal brackets with insulators for the holes in the mother board, so not much can go wrong.

If you really torqued down the screws, you can try backing them off about 1/2 a turn or so, and see if that helps. That would be on ALL the screws.

A terrible problem is bent CPU socket pins. It is rare for a new board to be delivered with bent CPU socket pins, but it is possible. You must remove the processor to check for that, which takes some work but a small cooler like the K5 is much easier to remove. If nothing else works for you, consider checking for bent pins in the CPU socket.

JC-Logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-Logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 1:18am
Related topic: the PSU power connector for the CPU.  Parsec, you mention the cable is a 4+4 design.  I recently completed a build using an EVGA NEC650G PSU. 100 percent modular and I am very happy with it.  The CPU power cable (it came with 2 modular cables that are identical) has 2 4pin connectors that would fit into the 8 pin block. 

However, the Install Manual for the Asrock (Z97 Extreme6) MB says if you have a 4pin, use it across pins 1 and 5.  So, I only put in one of the 4pin connectors.  Should I put both in? 

This is my first build.  The machine is running flawlessly, but don't want to tape off the plug if it should be in.

???

Thanks in advance.
JC-Logger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic