ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New build didn't boot, advice on where to start
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build didn't boot, advice on where to start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josef73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build didn't boot, advice on where to start
    Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 11:17pm
So, I put together a new gaming system, and honestly, I kind of rushed into some of these components without proper research, and I'm afraid I made some mistakes.  I put it all together last night, and it powered up, but no video.  I was too pressed for time to do any problem solving and I'm stuck at work right now and its killing me.  Any advice on what might be wrong and where to start?

MOBO: Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7
CPU: i5 6500 Skylake 3.2
Memory: G Skill Ripjaw V Series 32GB (2x16) 3200
Video: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380x
1st HD: Intel 750 series AIC 400 GB PCI express (I've never worked with this type of HD)
2nd HD: Seagate 4TB gaming SSHD
Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX water cooling
Case: Corsair Carbide 500r

System lights up, all fans running, but no video at all through either the video card or onboard video through HDMI or DVI.  
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 11:30pm
Sux being at work and having this nag on you huh? Tongue

Since you have terminal in front of you, go HERE if you remember the Ripjaw Kit p/n(again, sux huh?), and check that those sticks are judged as compatible by G.Skill.

Second up is to up flash the BIOS to the most current NON-Beta Production BIOS available on your MBs download page(s) on the ASRock website. Here and now unfortunately you'll need a way lower ranked video card that DOES give output to do this.

There's been plenty of BIOS updates covering R9 compatibility issues across all manufacturers boards.

At work!......... j/k, been there done that

josef73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josef73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 11:58pm
That G.Skill configurator didn't have my mobo listed, too new maybe?  The mobo has onboard video, but it didn't work at first pass, hopefully if I remove the video card it will default to onboard and it will at least boot.  Thanks for the advice about updating bios, I would have done that eventually, but I didn't even consider that could cause problems out of the box.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 12:15am
I'll be damned, it doesn't list it.

Call G.Skill when you get home.

Another thing, do you remember plugging in the 8-pin CPU Power along the top of the board? This will cause what you describe. It's easily forgotten in a rush to finish and press the cases Power button Wink

Edited by wardog - 10 Jan 2016 at 12:15am
josef73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josef73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 12:36am
I definitely got both power plugs into the motherboard, but I'll double check they are seated properly.
josef73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josef73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:32pm
I got it up and running!  I had to remove the video card, boot using onboard video, update the bios (only updates available are beta) and then reinstall video card.  Thanks for the suggestions!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic