ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Safe way to update BIOS on ASRock P67Pro3 (B3) ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Safe way to update BIOS on ASRock P67Pro3 (B3) ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 11:58pm
Ok then. Another "expoeriment' if you're willing.

Wiith RTC Alarm Power on yet disabled, now disable HPET in the BIOS too and re-check.

No go? Attempt HPET Off and RTC On.

If the above stabs in the semi-dark get you nowhere, please revert both RTC and HPET back their former, original, settings and post back.
Teutep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teutep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:05am
A stupid question if I may: Where in BIOS is the HPET?

EDIT: Never mind, used a cached version of this:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:oI90ZUOve_QJ:ftp://asrock.cn/Manual/P67%2520Pro3.pdf and took another look at my BIOS photos and found it. Embarrassed

Edited by Teutep - 18 Jan 2016 at 12:19am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:28am
Well, you took the pictures I used :)

BIOS > Advanced > Southbridge Configuration, of course :) :)
Teutep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teutep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:35am
Anyhow, attempts behind. Unfortunately both are no go.

1. RTC Alarm Power On: Disabled + ACPI HPTE table: Enabled = No difference.
2. RTC Alarm Power On: Disabled + ACPI HPTE table: Disabled = No difference.
3. RTC Alarm Power On: By OS + ACPI HPTE table: Disabled = No difference.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:38am
Replace your CMOS battery. No harm no foul in doing so. They're like a buck a piece.
Teutep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teutep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 7:05pm
Late response, but nonetheless:

Changing the CMOS battery didn't do a thing that I could witness.

Anyhow, as was previously mentioned that it doesn't affect my recording performance. It took me this long to test how gaming performance is affected, and by the looks of things there is no difference to what I'm seeing on Windows 7 in games like Rise of the Tomb Raider where I would definitely see a major performance drop.

In otherwords, as a gamer this probably shouldn't bother me as much as it does. MSI Afterburner, unlike HWInfo64 seems to report believable CPU Usage figures.

When I compare MSI Afterburner's values on W7 to my Task Manager's CPU usage, they're more or less the same (which makes me believe I can somewhat trust Afterburner's values as well.) While on Windows 10, my MSI Afterburner is the only one with values between 0-100%; whereas my Task Manager is just always that 100%; with the impossible hundred million percent under Resource Monitor.

So if push comes to shove, I suppose I'll trust a third party application and just resort to its monitoring rather than risk potential issues with a BIOS update, seeing that actual performance seems to be unaffected.

I should probably feel bad that I didn't test gaming performance before. Apologies for that! Thanks everyone for responding to this thread anyhow! :)

Edited by Teutep - 12 Feb 2016 at 7:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic