ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

890fx bios update failure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 890fx bios update failure?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 3:15am

I had to update my CPU for Adobe Photoshop compatibility (SSE4). I used the windows update tool from this site. After updating at boot I just get a row of vertical green lines on the bottom of my screen and code 0033.

I figured I bricked my board so I ordered a new BIOS chip with the 1.7 version needed. When I installed that I get the same screen and code.

What's the deal? Are the versions not backwards compatible with all supported CPUs?

Thanks, need to get back in business again.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 5:47am
Did you clear CMOS after installing the new BIOS ROM? You will want to pull the
battery, disconnect the system from power, press and hold the power button for
a few seconds and leave it like this for at least 10 mins. Then you can replace
the battery, reconnect power and attempt to power on again.

Also, what are your full system specs?
Green lines would typically lead me to believe a GPU issue has occurred. Maybe
try the GPU in another slot and if possible, test with another one.
dbur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 7:13am
Tried all that.

Video worked fine before the BIOS update. Works well enough to display the green lines and 0033 code.

AMD Phenom II 1100T 6 core, 16GB ram, GTX550Ti graphics card.
dbur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:50am
Tried another video card with same result. (lines and 0033) What does 0033 mean?

Tried putting in the upgraded CPU AMD FX-8120 and got no display on screen.

I think next step must be to find a BIOS 1.5 chip to see if I can revert to functional again with the old processor.

Is there help available anywhere? I submitted to ASrock tech support but had no response.
dbur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:50am
Tried another video card with same result. (lines and 0033) What does 0033 mean?

Tried putting in the upgraded CPU AMD FX-8120 and got no display on screen.

I think next step must be to find a BIOS 1.5 chip to see if I can revert to functional again with the old processor.

Is there help available anywhere? I submitted to ASrock tech support but had no response.
dbur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:14am
Do I dare taking my old 1.5 Bios from my second system to try again or do I risk bricking both? Not sure if I can buy and older version Bios chip.
dbur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:59am
Here's all I did:

reverting the 890fx Deluxe4 to old 1.5 BIOS works with my Phenom 1100T CPU.

1.6 and 1.7 both produce the green lines and 0033 with both the Phenom 1100T and the FX8120.

I hot swapped the 1.7 and burned it to 1.5. This works in my board with the 1100T.

I burned my original 1.5 that I had programmed to 1.7 to 1.6 instead. (It's a winbond chip) It produces the same green lines and 0033.

I can come to no conclusion except that 1.6 and 1.7 do not work in this main board. It seems unless there is something else I must do with 1.6.

I have removed the coin cell, cleared the CMOS and let it sit overnight with no power same result. I tried a different video card with same result.

One thing to add today is I tried the 1.6 BIOS in another system with the same main board and CPU. The BIOS was able to boot up in this system. What could be difference between these two boards?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic