ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ab error code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ab error code
    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 4:16am
Hoping that someone can end my misery and get this either fixed or the cause to the problem identified as splashing out on new parts etc is not in my budget but most certainly will be if all else fails.

Before this tragedy occurred I was playing Apex Legends like normal but then my PC froze and my game went black then a PC restart on the restart it said "Machine Exception" now to me that already sounded like a bad sign so I shut everything down checked cables checked everything possible. I restart but nothing just a constant reboot on its own.

I eventually found that one of my ram sticks was the cause for the constant boot with no monitor signal but now I'm stuck in the bios/UEFI and can't get past that and on the motherboard it says the code Ab with a quick flash of A2.

I would also like to include while I took the ram out and that did indeed fix the constant reboot I heard a very loud noise inside my PC and it sounded like the PSU but again I have no idea at this moment in time I'm hoping I can get some really good help and let my brain explore and learn new things for future reference.

Again, cheers to anyone who helps will provide more info.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 7:02am
Ab and A2 are displayed when entering and in the BIOS, A2 when it's loading and
Ab in Bios (sometimes it stays on A2 even in BIOS). Regardless, these are normal
codes within the BIOS. I would be more concerned with the noise you heard. It
sounds like something blew, possibly your boot drive or a component in the PSU.
Replace that PSU and check to make sure your boot drive isn't burned anywhere.

Edited by Xaltar - 08 Nov 2020 at 7:02am
Zinkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Ab and A2 are displayed when entering and in the BIOS, A2 when it's loading and
Ab in Bios (sometimes it stays on A2 even in BIOS). Regardless, these are normal
codes within the BIOS. I would be more concerned with the noise you heard. It
sounds like something blew, possibly your boot drive or a component in the PSU.
Replace that PSU and check to make sure your boot drive isn't burned anywhere.
Appreciate the response. The PSU will be getting an upgrade just from the noise alone as it didn't sound happy. That said. While I have been inside the bios I don't see any HDD/Boot drive or even my GPU being seen anywhere would this indicate not enough power? Or would the other HDD/GPU not function without the SSD with boot?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 5:20pm
It would help if we had your full system specs but I can still answer your questions.

If you don't see a boot device (SSD/HDD) then it is quite possible that is why you
are stuck in the BIOS, the system has nothing to do after passing POST if no bootable
devices are detected. You can try booting off a bootable USB stick and see if
that gets you past the BIOS.

As for the GPU, if you are getting a display then the GPU is working.
Zinkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:37pm
Thanks for the reply much appreciated.
My GPU does not work when inside my system initially it did but for some reason it now no longer does same as my HDD/SSD etc I'm going to try and find my USB that I installed windows on hopefully it works and we figure the issue out eh?

System specs have also been updated on my main post thanks.
Zinkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:46pm
It won't let me edit posts or I'm too blind to see how to do it so I'll just throw my system specs here.

Specs:
System specs:
i7 2700k @ 3.5ghz stock
RX570 4GB GPU
120GB SanDisk Extreme(OS Drive)
240GB SanDisk Extreme
1TB Western Digital HDD
2TB Western Digital HDD
8GB Ballistics Sport
CX750M Corsair PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64GB
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 3:39am
I saw your PM but I prefer to reply here so anyone else experiencing similar issues
can benefit from reading through your thread.

You are clearly getting a display so your GPU is working, even if the device viewer
in the BIOS does not show it. That feature isn't always reliable and often does not
show all connected devices.

By the sound of it your PSU likely is damaged, I would guess on the 5v power rail
as it seems you are still able to get into the BIOS but your drives are not working.
You have a lot of drives connected, I hope your PSU didn't take them all out with
it.

Honestly, I would get a new PSU in there ASAP and stop troubleshooting the system
until you do. If it is a blown/damaged PSU you are running the risk of damaging
more components.

Once you have a new PSU in there you can check your drives, I would disconnect them
all and test them one at a time, ideally with new SATA cables in case a bad cable
caused the issue to begin with.
Zinkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I saw your PM but I prefer to reply here so anyone else experiencing similar issues
can benefit from reading through your thread.

You are clearly getting a display so your GPU is working, even if the device viewer
in the BIOS does not show it. That feature isn't always reliable and often does not
show all connected devices.

By the sound of it your PSU likely is damaged, I would guess on the 5v power rail
as it seems you are still able to get into the BIOS but your drives are not working.
You have a lot of drives connected, I hope your PSU didn't take them all out with
it.

Honestly, I would get a new PSU in there ASAP and stop troubleshooting the system
until you do. If it is a blown/damaged PSU you are running the risk of damaging
more components.

Once you have a new PSU in there you can check your drives, I would disconnect them
all and test them one at a time, ideally with new SATA cables in case a bad cable
caused the issue to begin with.
Yeah I sent a DM just so I could send the image as I don't want to hog the post with too much clutter. Thanks for the information on going forward and appreciate the advice. I will be back once I've got a new PSU/Cables to start this process again.
Zinkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:50am
Update/Solution:
I'm finally back and this time I can say that my system is now fixed! The PSU was the culprit along with x1 ramstick.

Appreciate all the help @Xaltar and hopefully this helps someone else too.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 3:21pm
That's great news
Glad I could help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic