ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 - BIOS & RAM Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 - BIOS & RAM Questions
    Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 4:24pm
I'm using the Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 for over a month now and I'm quite happy with it. However, I have some problems/questions regarding BIOS and RAM.

1) BIOS (v1.90)

My BIOS freezes occasionally. It happens already when I'm only browsing through the menu. It's not a big deal but can be annoying sometimes when I'm trying to change some settings. Updating to the latest beta release (Sky OC support) doesn't solve the issue. Does anyone else have this problem?

2) RAM Overclocking (Crucial 2x4GB, DDR4-2133)

I've pushed my RAM up to 2800Mhz@Cl14-14-14-34 and v1.25. With my Pentium G4400, the timings were stable, but since I've swapped my G4400 for an i7-6700k, my system has cold boot problems. Sometimes my system restarts itself with an UEFI boot failure message or Dr. Debug shows me an error code 55. The funny thing is that my system runs stable after a normal reset. I did some tests with memtest86,Prime95, Intel XTU etc. but I got no errors. Higher timings and lower frequency doesn't solve the cold boot problem.
Does The CPU does make a difference in terms of RAM overclocking? Or is there some kind of bug in the BIOS?

3) RAM Compatibility

Currently I'm planning to buy one of the following memory kits with XMP:

- Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM Kit 16GB (2x8), DDR4-3200@16-18-18-36 (black or red)
- G.Skill Ripjaws V DIMM Kit 16GB (2x8), DDR4-3200@16-16-16-36 (black or silver)

I already checked the compatibility website, but unfortunately they aren't listed (only the 2x4GB version I believe) and the Trident Z series G.Skill aren't available in my country. I would be glad if someone could share some experiences with these memory kits because I don't want to be a guinea pig. I'm also open for other suggestions (2x8GB, 3000mhz+). 

Thanks.

Edited by Tenkei - 14 Jan 2016 at 4:24pm
Tenkei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 3:08pm
I did some further research about point 1 and 2.

- The BIOS will freeze if you navigate too quickly
- Increasing the VCCIO voltage does seem to help for RAM OC

I hope that ASRock will fix this in a future BIOS update.

I still haven't figured out why my system isn't stable with the i7-6700k and the fastest RAM timings that I had achieved with my previous, obviously weaker CPU (G4400).
Anyway, I was able to get a pair of the G.Skill Trident Z series (F4-3000C15D-16GTZB), which will arrive next week. Here's a review of this kit, tested with the Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6:
http://www.pcgameware.co.uk/reviews/memory-ram/g-skill-tridentz-3000mhz-16gb-kit-review/

I will post the results after some stress tests.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Tenkei Tenkei wrote:

Does The CPU does make a difference in terms of RAM overclocking?

It might, especially if it's of a different architecture, since the memory controller has likely gone through some changes as well.

However, it doesn't sound like it's a problem with overclocking. I'll ask this just to be sure, have you tried running the memory on stock settings?

Quote I already checked the compatibility website, but unfortunately they aren't listed (only the 2x4GB version I believe) and the Trident Z series G.Skill aren't available in my country.

Do you mean the memory manufacturers websites or the compatibility list available on ASRock's website? If you mean the latter, try the former to double check.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 9:00am
There is the Sky OC BIOS, BETA L1.93 available in the BETA Download section of your motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming%20K6/?cat=Beta

I would highly recommend you upgrade to L1.93

----

I recommend G.Skill here seemingly a whole lot, I've used G.Skill exclusively for years now, yet I have never had any problems when choosing from the list that G.Skill's RAM Configurator says is compatible with whatever board I may be assembling at that time. They just work. Period. My sig below is testament I do.

The list that G.Skill themselves stands behind with a guarantee for your MB is below:
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2484&model=2517

Tenkei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

It might, especially if it's of a different architecture, since the memory controller has likely gone through some changes as well.

However, it doesn't sound like it's a problem with overclocking. I'll ask this just to be sure, have you tried running the memory on stock settings?

Yes, they just ran fine at stock speed (swapped them for better ones yesterday). I wasn't able to maintain stability with overclocked speeds so I gave up in the end.

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I recommend G.Skill here seemingly a whole lot, I've used G.Skill exclusively for years now, yet I have never had any problems when choosing from the list that G.Skill's RAM Configurator says is compatible with whatever board I may be assembling at that time. They just work. Period. My sig below is testament I do.

The list that G.Skill themselves stands behind with a guarantee for your MB is below:
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2484&model=2517

Yesterday I got my G.Skill Trident Z DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000@15-16-16-35. They just work fine with XMP, even they aren't particularly supported for this motherboard... lucky me^^

Currently I'm running this kit with 3466Mhz@16-18-18-38, basically the same stats of the more expensive version. I haven't experienced any freezes, BOSDs or crashes yet, but only time will tell.
For now, I'm really impressed with G.Skill!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 10:36pm
Yea baaaby!

Some G.Skill Goodness working there.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 6:41am
Okay, good to hear everything is working well now. Just goes to show that some components just don't work as well together as others.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic