ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme6 Sound Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-Logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme6 Sound Issues
    Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:35am
Hi, folks, need some help on a sound issue (or multiple sound issues).

Synopsis: no sound with HDMI using the video card.  No sound or video using the motherboard HDMI ports.

Last weekend I did a build of a ground up new system.  Motherboard is Z97 Extreme6 with full HD audio.  Video card is Gigabyte Radeon R9 380.  I have a PCIe 3 Samsung M.2 SSD installed on the motherboard.

Runs fabulous, but I have had sound issues since it came up.  I am using an HDMI connection to an LG 29" Display with Internal speakers.  When I plug HDMI into the video card, on full volume, I can barely hear something coming out of the internal speakers on the display.  Not enough sound to even hear the words, but I hear the noise.  I have tried multiple cables, and multiple ports on the display.  Same symptoms. 

I decided to try the motherboard video/sound.  When I hook up the HDMI cable, I get nothing (no video, no OS, no sound, no anything) on the screen. 

I switched back to the graphics card, and hooked external speakers to the on board MBoard audio jacks.  At first, I got nothing.  I went into the UEFI settings, and changed the use onboard video setting to Enabled (it had been manual).  Doing that got the on board audio to work, but the onboard HDMI out is still not working.

There is a note with the motherboard documentation that using the Ultra M.2 slot (PCIe 3) takes 4 paths from the PCIe x16 card, thereby backing it off to x8.  I am about to take the video card out and see if I have some kind of conflict.  I thought I would ask this group for advice before surgery.

I did reinstall the driver for the onboard video/audio.  I am new to W10, but I think I did it correctly.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

JC-Logger
JC-Logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-Logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 10:23am
Folks, did a little more digging and found a couple other options.  I was able to resolve all the sound issues.  Some of it was settings and some user error. 

So, ignore my post for now.  I think I am good to go.
JC-Logger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic