ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

XMP Profile trouble with H170m Pro4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdultaiyab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XMP Profile trouble with H170m Pro4
    Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 11:52am
Hi fellas,

I recently upgraded to a h170m pro4 based skylake build with a i5 6600 non 'k' CPU and 2x4gb 2400 Corsair LPX kit which detects as 2133.

I could not find any options in the uefi to enable xmp on my ram kit. I don't care much for CPU oc but would like my ram kit to work at advertised speeds. I figured updating the uefi to 1.80 (latest version) would solve the problem but it did nothing. Asrock auto tuning software is a joke too.

Please help!!! Am I missing something here?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 2:12pm
You are using an H170 chipset board, it is only capable of running at 2133. If your RAM had an XMP setting for 2133 the XMP profile option would be available in your UEFI but as it does not the option remains hidden. I noted the same behavior on my H170 Combo while writing my review here

If you were using Kingston or Samsung memory then you would be able to use the DDR4 OC feature but sadly Corsair is not supported as yet. 

This issue isn't an ASRock one but rather a restriction of the chipset. Tighter timings will mostly negate any performance loss however.
abdultaiyab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdultaiyab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 3:38pm
Oh is it...i figured Corsair LPX being a popular choice would be supported :(

Funny thing is that in the 'out of the box' stock uefi I had the option to to manually set the frequency to 2266 but after updating the uefi even that is gone..max I can go now is 2133
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 3:56pm
To elaborate a little on Xaltar's post, the maximum memory speed of any Skylake 'i' processor by the Intel specification for DDR4 memory is 2133. So any memory speed beyond 2133 is seen as a memory OC  by Intel.

The ASRock DDR4 Non-Z OC ('Z' refers to the Z170 chipset) is only available with memory that is using specific memory chips on the DIMM card. I know one is Samsung memory chips, and I think the other is Hynix memory chips. There may be only specific Samsung and Hynix memory chips that are able to be over clocked by the DDR4 Non-Z OC feature. My Crucial DDR4 memory that has Crucial made chips will not work with the Non-Z OC memory feature.

All memory has a default speed that is programmed into the memory in the same general way as an XMP profile. For DDR4 memory, that is usually 2133 or even 1866. That is done to insure the memory will work with most if not all mother board and processor combinations. Higher speed memory (beyond 2133 for DDR4) might not work at the highest specified speed with every board and processor, so the owner must manually set the memory speed in the board's UEFI/BIOS. This methodology has been used for years, probably starting with DDR2 memory.

An XMP profile is a simplified way of manually setting the highest memory speed the memory can work at, but that must be activated manually.

That is, if your system allows you to do that. Most cannot due to Intel's rules.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 6:37pm
Thanks for the elaboration Parsec. 

As for the 2266 setting I am sure you will find that if you had actually set your RAM to that frequency it would not have worked, as in it would still only report as 2133 in windows. I had a BCLK option in my H170 Combo as well as other settings but none of them actually worked.

abdultaiyab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdultaiyab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 10:39pm
Alright cool...thanks for the response guys...hopefully Asrock will add support for corsair kits in the future.

I had a system crash while in the uefi once..mouse and keyboard were active but uefi wouldn't accept any input. Couple of time before it was unresponsive for a fee seconds bit this time it was stuck for a while. Any idea why?

A hard reset solved the problem however

Edited by abdultaiyab - 18 Jan 2016 at 10:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic