ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme 4 HDD Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YeahAsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 Extreme 4 HDD Problem
    Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:13am
Hello. I have had this system running for some time now with and 230 GB SSD and windows 7 64 Bit and SATA blue ray drive.  I was always going to add a larger SATA hard drive when i had the money.  I have purchased a brand new Seagate 2TB SATA HD when I connect it to the system the bios does not detect the hard drive.  It sounds like it is spinning but obviously if the bios does not detect it neither will windows.  I do not have another system to test the hard drive on at this time but it is brand new and not a used one.  Any help appreciated.
  Thank you
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:39am
There's a few possible things that may be at play here.

Sata port SATA3_A1 is shared with eSATA3

In the BIOS have you disabled the ASMedia SATA3 controller? Note: For best performance of that 2TB drive connect it to the Intel controllers, not the ones that end in SATA3_Ax. That A signifies an ASMedia port. Try CD/DVD/BD drives on the ASMedia ones to relieve and free up the much faster Intel SATA3 ports. All CD/DVD/BD drives that I'm aware still only operate at SATA1 speeds and the ASMedia ports CAN keep up at that speed/interface.

Replace the SATA data(not power) cable used on the 2TB drive.

Post back your results please.
YeahAsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YeahAsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 6:45am
This has been resolved although I am not sure what resolved it. I have a NOFAN CS-80 case that has hot swappable drive bays- so it has built in power and data cables that connect to the mainboard.  I suspect the slot or cable could be bad as I bypassed the cradle for the bay and went straight to the psu and the intel sata connector and the drive was indeed recognized.   What is the best way to determine if my new HDD is using SATA III and not SATA II?

Thank you for your help.  Sorry I am not sure what the problem actually was.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 7:42am
Originally posted by YeahAsrock YeahAsrock wrote:

What is the best way to determine if my new HDD is using SATA III and not SATA II?

The BIOS or Windows Device Manager.

Does your removable use a sled or is it sled-less? Odd's are it just wasn't making proper data contact, regardless, as you implied it was spinning. It's working now and that's what counts.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by YeahAsrock YeahAsrock wrote:

This has been resolved although I am not sure what resolved it. I have a NOFAN CS-80 case that has hot swappable drive bays- so it has built in power and data cables that connect to the mainboard.  I suspect the slot or cable could be bad as I bypassed the cradle for the bay and went straight to the psu and the intel sata connector and the drive was indeed recognized.   What is the best way to determine if my new HDD is using SATA III and not SATA II?

Thank you for your help.  Sorry I am not sure what the problem actually was.

Drive bays in PC cases are notorious for causing drive detection problems. I avoid them completely.

Your board has only two Intel SATA III ports, the other four Intel SATA ports are SATA II.

The ASMedia "SATA III" ports are really SATA IIĀ½, not a real standard but given the speed they are capable of providing, they are clearly behind the Intel SATA III ports in speed.

But the concern about whether or not an HDD is connected to SATA III or SATA II is a waste of time. The only SATA III speed in ALL HDDs is the connection into the drive's buffer memory chip. The number of HDDs that can saturate SATA II bandwidth is zero.

SATA III HDDs are pure marketing BS, nothing less, sorry to say.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic