ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dead Z170 Gaming ITX/ac Mobo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead Z170 Gaming ITX/ac Mobo?
    Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 6:51am
Hi All,

Looking for some input/thoughts on the following. I built a small form factor Skylake machine in November of last year based on a i5 6500 using the ASRock z170 Gaming ITX/ac motherboard. It was never really stressed much, running at stock and it ran fine. I had no problems until yesterday when the machine would no longer power on.

I'm using a Silverstone SFX 500W PSU and did the whole paper clip test on the 20+4 cable and attached a case fan to it as well. The case fan started up fine and I then ran a few tests using a multimeter and the DC voltages seemed fine as well. It looks like the PSU is operating ok.

I then thought it might be that the power switch on my case went bad (Silverstone ML08). I tried swapping the reset header and the power header thinking I might be able to start the machine with the reset button instead if the power button malfunctioned. No dice. Finally I tried shorting the power pins with a screwdriver and that didn't work either. Note that while I was doing this, I had all the components removed aside from the CPU and the cooler (Cryorig C7 - a low profile cooler).

Does it sound like a dead mobo to you? Not sure what other tests I can try - I don't have access to an alternative mobo/psu.

Components:
ASRock z170 Gaming ITX/ac - bios v1.50
Intel i5 6500
Cryorig C7 CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400 16GB
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Silverstone SX500-LG 500W PSU
Silverstone ML08 Case
MSI GTX 970
Windows 10 Pro

Edited by granite - 24 Jan 2016 at 7:04am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:29am
Is anything like fans and HDD/SSDs spinning?

What make, model and age is your PSU?

Have you swapped out the PSU with maybe a friends?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:31am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Is anything like fans and HDD/SSDs spinning? duh, ssd's spinning?

granite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:47am

Is anything like fans and HDD/SSDs spinning? duh, ssd's spinning?

Thanks for the reply Wardog. I'll have to check if I can get a loaner PSU from a buddy but it seems like my PSU is running ok (was able to power a case fan with the paper clip test) - it's a Silverstone SFX-L form factor at 500W. All the components for the build are new - built around black friday 2015 deals.

Nothing starts up after pressing the power button/attempting to short the power pins. Unfortunately this particular board doesn't have any led indicators either (either that or I'm blind) so I can't see if there's even an idle current going through it.

Very strange, system ran with no issues from the day I completed the build until yesterday.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:58am
The paper clip test does not place a load, only that voltage is present.

Most occurrences of boards not booting as you describe, one day doesn't do anything, is 50/50 the PSU. Inrush current. Sadly, that other 50 and what I descibe, inrush current, is not good on boards either.

Swapping PSU's is the easiest and why I suggest first.
granite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:36am
Thanks I'll have to try that as soon as I get access to another PSU.

With the paper clip test I attached a case fan to the PSU with a molex adapter during that test. It spun up. After reading your post just now I also tried connecting an old mechanical harddrive I had lying around with a SATA power cable, in addition to the case fan. Fired up the PSU with the paper clip and both spun to life. I'm sure the power load in this test is trivial but just going through the process of elimination with whatever I can currently get my hands on. Snowed in at the moment!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 12:37pm
OMGosh, you are in New York state! Good luck with the weather! Great time (not) to have the PC die, glad you have another.

You need your memory in the PC or it won't work, you wrote you removed everything but the CPU and CPU cooler. But the CPU cooler fan should still spin up.

The PSU you use has a fan, right? When you try to start the PC, does the PSU fan spin up? Does the fan run when you do the fan and HDD test on the PSU? I imagine the PSU fan spins while doing that test.

If the PSU fan does not spin when connected to the PC, then it is possible that a failure of something on the board is causing a short circuit, which the PSU senses and does not start. Or a short circuit developed in one of the PSU cables that keeps it from starting. Or a short between the board and the PC case. Just examples of possibilities.

Electronic components can fail at any time without warning and for no apparent reason. So working fine one day but dead the next is certainly possible. Considering the number of parts in a mother board, many things to go wrong.
granite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:26am
When everything was said and done we had over 2 ft of snow accumulation!

Yep, I didn't have the ram attached but the heat sink fan/cooler was attached and it didn't start.

So the thing with the Silverstone PSU is that it has what they call a "semi-fanless" design which is fancy speak meaning that the fan only spins up when it hits certain temps and with this weather, it doesn't spin up at all. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:13am
My Seasonics have what they call "Hybrid Mode"

http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series_XP2.htm

re: 2 ft of snow

In recent past years we here in Michigan haven't received much footage inland. The poor fools in their McMansions on the lakefront, now they get lake effect. Whine and carry on like a toddler they do.

News footage showing like they in NY and surrounding stayed pretty much on top of things this go 'round with Mother Nature.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic