ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Pro4/D3 Beta BIOS needs attention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 7:11pm
I'll post the below link with your understanding I know absolutely ZERO concerning linux

http://askubuntu.com/questions/691216/no-version-of-ubuntu-can-be-installed-with-any-skylake-6th-generation-intel-proc

nomodeset / nolapic

Edited by wardog - 27 Jan 2016 at 7:14pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 7:16pm
Dang, ya know what?

Right after I edited my post above, nolapic, I had a brain storm. Maybe

Go into the BIOS, disable HPET, and retry.
cainn24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cainn24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 2:50am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'll post the below link with your understanding I know absolutely ZERO concerning linux

http://askubuntu.com/questions/691216/no-version-of-ubuntu-can-be-installed-with-any-skylake-6th-generation-intel-proc

nomodeset / nolapic

I stumbled across that thread myself, and have tried all those options already (the nolapic option would disable all cores except one even if it did help I think, but it doesn't anyway).  I've also tried arguments that relate to cpu frequency scaling, arguments that [purportedly] handle BIOS frequency limitations; pretty much anything that sounds even remotely related to my problem (and even a bunch of things that don't).

To be honest I'm mostly flailing around in the dark hoping I get lucky, but my understanding of the issues involved here is nonetheless starting to take shape so hopefully I will get somewhere eventually.

Quote Dang, ya know what?

Right after I edited my post above, nolapic, I had a brain storm. Maybe

Go into the BIOS, disable HPET, and retry.

Good thinking 99.  But no cigar unfortunately.

Thanks for your efforts nonetheless :)

Edited by cainn24 - 28 Jan 2016 at 2:58am
cainn24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cainn24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:50pm
When I built this system I was initially going to go for a DDR4 board and an i5-6600k.  But when I was researching all the options I did of course stumble across the Skylake BCLK OC phenomenon.  The idea that Intel had taken control of the overclocking situation with a "yes, you can overclock, but only if you pay more for special CPUs and motherboards" approach had always bothered me so this discovery had me rejoicing.  Somewhat "drunk" on the prospect of saving money and sticking it to Intel I thought why not go even further.  Not only does Intel say "no overclocking for you" to a bunch of people, they also say "sorry, no, you can't use your old 1.5v DDR3 modules either".  Now that's kinda fair enough if it's actually true, but when every major motherboard manufacturer is disagreeing with that assessment by way of producing Skylake boards that do in fact support 1.5v DDR3 modules, I'm thinking that it's ultimately more Intel nonsense that should be rejected.  Shortened CPU lifespan?  Maybe.  But so what.  That's a risk I have been taking since the dawn of overclocking, and as it turns out it was never a real risk at all given the nature of the average enthusiasts upgrade cycle.  There are always exceptions of course, but they call them exceptions for a reason.  If we lived our lives with constant reference to worst-case scenarios we'd never do anything.  We'd barely have any fun.  Being a little bit reckless can be invigorating, and we're hardly talking about life and death here.

Anyway...

The problem with sticking it to Intel though, twice, is that the Z170 DDR3 boards are pretty low-end.  I guess it makes sense that they are since most people who are looking to hold onto their DDR3 modules are probably budget conscious.  And the fact that the Pro4/D3 might not ever get me into the performance ballpark I was initially aiming for, and might not be a great option moving forward, had started to bug me on some deep level, and I eventually acknowledged to myself that I was never going to be truly happy with this particular build.  So I've now picked up a DDR4 board instead.  The Pro4 specifically, which I got a great deal on.  Better layout, better regulation (I think) and a more comprehensive array of OC-related BIOS options.  I already have my i5-6400 up to 4.2 GHz and I'm sure I can get a little higher.  It's still an entry-level overclockers board but I'm much happier with the build now.

Still can't get Ubuntu to boot when doing a BCLK OC though, so I suspect that it's a widespread issue.  I have posted about it here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/hardware/processors-memory/848450-bclk-overclocking-on-z170-skylake-chipsets-prevents-ubuntu-from-booting

I will probably post all future updates (and hopefully successes) there as well.

Edited by cainn24 - 29 Jan 2016 at 7:12am
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 2:52am
Well done with the Pro4, it is a sincere piece of hw, not too expensive but, so far, reliable and with nearly all the options that more expensive z170 boards have.

It scared me a couple of times when trying to find the optimum UEFI settings but nothing I could not eventually resolve.

I think I have flashed the bios at least 10 times. 
Have not tried skyoc yet, I'm using iGPU and frankly it runs every game I throw at it with decent framerate at 1920x1200 with low or medium quality in game settings

Bios 2.80 allowed me to set a BLCK of 103Mhz while the latest 3.10 is not stable past 102Mhz but the difference is minimal in games. 
It is a lot more important to try and keep the HD530 at its maximum speed without throttling.

Edited by peroni - 29 Jan 2016 at 3:12am
Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic