ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hauuppauge 2255 not visible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hauuppauge 2255 not visible
    Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 9:00am
I have purchased N3050B and N3150I boards for use with the Hauppauge 2255 dual tuner. The OS is Centos 7 Linux. Neither board shows the board with the 'lspci' command. The card is nominally pcie 2.0x1, which the pcie slot on both boards is claimed to be. When the board is placed into a 10 yr old athlon system pcie x1 slot, the pci enumeration shows exactly as expected. Why are Asrock boards missing the pci enumeration (which happens long before any drivers are loaded)?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:24am
Hmmmm, I'll take a Google shot at this.

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2250

Under Digital Support:
Quote The following firmware is also needed:

http://www.steventoth.net/linux/hvr22xx/firmwares/4019072/NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw

Installing this firmware is all that is needed (July 30, 2014).

I also read that as of January 2016 Hauppauge had added Linux support for the 2250 (EDIT,) 2255:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html

Ok. Having posted the above it's been years since I used a Hauppauge tuner. It was a PITA then.

You don't say what you've tried FW wise so I posted that. You don't say what drivers/software you're using so I posted that also.

Edited by wardog - 27 Jan 2016 at 12:32pm
Jules IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:43am
On the athlon machine, the kernel finds the device, loads the approriate drivers, but the kmod knows the board isn't fully supported yet.

HOWEVER, on the Asrock machines, the very same kernel doesn't even see the pci device to start to look for the driver. The pci enumeration process takes place at power up, way before any consideration of how to run the devices on the bus. Hence, even if there are no device drivers to be used, the pci id should still be seen with lspci command.

I have read that Hauppauge can be fussy about cert certificates in the board firmware for the pci bus. But that doesn't explain why the older amd board had no trouble finding the device. I wonder if this might be an issue.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:52am
I'm no expert at these yet the adoption of UEFI did change the game as far as many devices were concerned enumeration wise. That why I included the FW link. YMMV
Jules IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 12:06pm
The idea of uefi firmware is rather new to me. That helps to explain a passible difference between the two systems. I will investigate and get back.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic