ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B150 Gaming K4 & High-end graphic cards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supabib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B150 Gaming K4 & High-end graphic cards
    Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:35pm
Dear all,

I'm writing this post to share my experience : Had problems with my newly bought B150 Gaming K4 (with core i3-6100) and my graphic card "Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 4GB GDDR5 OC(UEFI), New Edition"

to explain the issue =, Here is the ticket I opened at Sapphire support :
Just bought my new setup ( i3-6100, RAM, Asrock Fatal1ty B150 Gaming K4). I installed W10 64b, installed AMD drivers (latest found on AMD support site), installed provided drivers (CD that came with MB) and when launching a game (tried WoW and GW2) I got driver crash every minute (randomly). I think that the English message is "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered" (French was : "le pilote d'affichage ne répondait pas et a récupéré"). Also a lot of BSOD.

So I installed W7 64 bits, same result (but no BSOD). What I did then :
1. Updated MB BIOS to latest version -> No effect
2. Uninstalled AMD drivers, reboot install drivers from Sapphire CD -> No effect
3. Upgraded drivers to latest version using Catalyst control center -> No effect
4. Reset MB UEFI to default settings -> No effect

2 days ago, I was using the same graphic card on an old Intel Core I5-760, on a Gygabyte GA-P55-USB3 MB with 16 GB DDR3 RAM and never had an issue.

Sapphire answer was pretty simple : buy a more powerfull PSU, at least 750 (I have a Corsair HX620). Then I asked them why then it was working on my old setup.

I finally found the solution by myself. The B150 Gaming K4 as an extra molex connector. User's manual says that (ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal1ty%20B150%20Gaming%20K4.pdf page 23) : "Please connect a 4 pin molex power cable to this connector when more than three graphics cards are installed."

I have only one GC but, as I had no lead, I plugged my PSU to this connector. And that's when the "miracle" happened : issue was solved.

So, ASRock TEAM, if you read this, please update your user's manual because with 1 GC that consumes a lot of power, you need to plug this molex connector.

Hope that this post will help someone :)

i3-6100
b150 Fatal1ty Gaming K4
4x4GB DDR4 HyperX Predator
Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 4GB GDDR5 OC(UEFI), New Edition
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 4:11pm
Thanks for posting this as it is a common issue posted here with cards that pull a lot of power from the PCIE slots and have usually the two 6-pin or a 6-pin and 8-pin PCIE power sockets on the card itself.

The molex provides additional power to the PCIE slots for just this purpose. Newer, power hungry cards.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic