ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X399 Phantom Gaming 6 + Corsair RAM = Only 50% Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Phantom Gaming 6 + Corsair RAM = Only 50% Fun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Phantom Gaming 6 + Corsair RAM = Only 50% Fun
    Posted: 09 May 2021 at 6:08pm
Hi there,

I have a problem with my X399 Phantom Gaming 6 Motherboard. I have installed 4 bars of Corsair Vengeance Pro with 16GB (2x8GB) each. Their SKU is CMW64GX4M4E3200C16. My CPU is a Threadripper 2920x.

I did a CMOS reset and loaded the UEFI defaults afterwards.

The RAM bars are placed in the recommended slots A2, B2, C2 and D2. They are all recognized in BIOS/UEFI, but only with half of their memory size (8192MB each) and a clock speed of 2133MHz instead of 3200MHz. While I can set the XMP 2.0 profile 1 in order to adjust their speed to 3200MHz, I cannot make the board detect the correct memory size of 16GB each, so 64GB in total.

What could I try to fix this?

Thanks guys, I am a pretty desperate noob and want to excuse myself in case this is a well-known problem to experts.
Troy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 6:13pm
Update: My BIOS/UEFI Version is 1.31 (latest)
Troy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 1:08pm
Thread can be closed. Turned out that I was misled by the labels on the memory bars. They show the size of the KIT, not the size of the bar.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 5:10pm
I was about to say are you sure they are 16gb modules :)

I am glad you are all sorted. I have the same board paired with a 2950x, 2 years
in and it's still running flawlessly. Enjoy :)
Troy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 5:14pm
Hi Xaltar,
thanks for your answer. While I now know the correct size, I noticed some issues with the speed and have it now set to 2666MHz.
Do you have the RAM running at 3200 MHz? I experienced some BSODs with this speed and with 3000 MHz.
Anything board specific I have to set up? Do I need the DRAM calculator trickery?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:16am
You will likely need to use DRAM calc. I got lucky with mine, my RAM is Samsung
B-Die based so it worked right out of the box @3600 once I enabled XMP. Several
other kits I have tried did not work with XMP though and required manual settings
using DRAM Calc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic