ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for recommendations on GPU and RAM upgrade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for recommendations on GPU and RAM upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDskary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for recommendations on GPU and RAM upgrade
    Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 3:47pm
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Processor AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock

BaseBoard Product 970A-G/3.1

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.97 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.99 GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

I bought this off newegg years ago, there was no network card installed and the USB wifi dongle was crap. I moved the modem and router into my room and installed an ethernet card and plugged straight in with ethernet. Other than that it's factory. I haven't kept up but I know there is a lot of stuff going on with GPUs because of crypto mining. I'm just looking for the best available GPU for games like valheim, and maybe a RAM upgrade. It looks like I can go up to 64GB on that. all makes, models, links and explanations welcome. Thanks in advance
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 4:36pm
You are going to be severely bottlenecked by your current CPU/RAM/Motherboard with anything above (and even with) what you have now for a GPU.

Your best bet is to put your resources towards say a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU paired with maybe an ASRock B450 Steel Legend and 2 x 8GB sticks of 3200 rated DDR4 .. currently that will run you about $360 US. You'll get more performance out of your current GTX 1050 with a solid foundation instead of investing in your current outdated hardware.

Current state of GPU's is abysmal, so I'd recommend getting the rest of your setup up to snuff and THEN invest in a better GPU when prices become normal again.
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 10:50pm
hes right you know

i must admit of have a lot of love for the old FX cpus
especially around 2 years ago when you could buy the fx8350 brand new for 50 bucks ,grab a 20 buck motherboard from ebay and 30 bucks for ddr3 ram secondhand

but the point threedee made is solid the best blend of FX cpu and some decent ram at 1866 or more (overclocked) still is stretched to its limit with a 1050 ish card

now you could say have a 1060 and in use not really notice the difference from a new 3600 (to the average eye)

but why keep soldering on with a system that is slow to do everything else
(even game loads etc )

to throw any money at a gpu with that system is madness even if the gpus were at rrp

bide your time get a new foundation of cpu/ram/board and ssd or nvme drives

and then by the end of this year (hopefully) the gpus will be on shelves at RRP when the makers catch up with production ,and the miners stop buying them all
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:44pm
ThreeDee and Datonyb are right on point. Given current factors I would also suggest
a decent base upgrade first before looking at GPUs. I would shoot for a 3000
series CPU (not the APUs as a 3000 series APU is actually based on Ryzen 2000
series). A solid B450 board will get you up and running and help get the most out
of your existing 1050. If you do decide to go for a GPU I would look into a 4gb
RX 570/580 or 470/480 on the used market. Given they are no good for mining they can still be found
at near reasonable prices and will be a huge upgrade from the 1050. I would still
advise waiting but ultimately that choice is yours.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic