ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mobo for Xeon Processor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverknowu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mobo for Xeon Processor
    Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 8:32am
Hi,

I need a little help on finding the right mobo.

Looking for Xeon e5 2650 v3.

2x titan X's.

Blackmagic Design Decklink extreme card.

Thanks for your time!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 11:59am
You require an X99 board for that processor. Always check for your Xeon processor in the CPU Support list.

You'll want a full size board to accommodate the two video cards.

You'll also need to verify the PCIe slot width needed for the Blackmagic card, x4 or x8. It is PCIe 2.0 x8.

Be sure to verify the number of PCIe lanes each PCIe x16 slot provides. The slot may be x16 physical, but may only be x8 or x4 electrically. This is of critical importance. Also the spacing of the PCIe slots must be compatible with all your video cards.

You have 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the Xeon processor. If both video cards will be run a x16, then that leaves x8 for other devices.

You won't be able to use M.2 SSDs, since you may be using all of the PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:09pm
While staying away from the OCing boards .......

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20WS-E/

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20WS-E10G/
neverknowu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverknowu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You require an X99 board for that processor. Always check for your Xeon processor in the CPU Support list.

You'll want a full size board to accommodate the two video cards.

You'll also need to verify the PCIe slot width needed for the Blackmagic card, x4 or x8. It is PCIe 2.0 x8.

Be sure to verify the number of PCIe lanes each PCIe x16 slot provides. The slot may be x16 physical, but may only be x8 or x4 electrically. This is of critical importance. Also the spacing of the PCIe slots must be compatible with all your video cards.

You have 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the Xeon processor. If both video cards will be run a x16, then that leaves x8 for other devices.

You won't be able to use M.2 SSDs, since you may be using all of the PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU.

Thank you so much for explaining these things to me!

Obviously still in r&d about what components to get. This helps a lot. I'll look into this further.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverknowu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

While staying away from the OCing boards .......

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20WS-E/

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20WS-E10G/

I guess the 10G would be good for me if I was say...needing to set up a raid that worked with a 10G connection?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by neverknowu neverknowu wrote:

I guess the 10G would be good for me if I was say...needing to set up a raid that worked with a 10G connection?

Exactly. SATAe is FAST. I'm assuming you're building a fast editing workstation.

Yet, it never hurts to future-proof now while looking down the road at possible scenarios.

What you're looking at building now isn't by any stretch inexpensive, but the comparative little additional cost incurred now may save a tear-down in the future should you decide at a later date you do want SATAe/10G.

My way of looking at your situation. If I were you. wearing your boots, sort of way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverknowu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 2:38am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by neverknowu neverknowu wrote:

[COLOR=red]Exactly. SATAe is FAST. I'm assuming you're building a fast editing workstation.

Yet, it never hurts to future-proof now while looking down the road at possible scenarios.

What
you're looking at building now isn't by any stretch inexpensive, but
the comparative little additional cost incurred now may save a tear-down
in the future should you decide at a later date you do want SATAe/10G.

My way of looking at your situation. If I were you. wearing your boots, sort of way.

Yeah, I'm working with uncompressing large video files, and also playing back regular prores files while adding FX to them.

Now I have to find the smallest case possible for this eATX board as I'll be traveling a lot for work. I really appreciate your time, thank you!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 4:56am
Ughgg, you're travelling with it? hehehe, ok!?!

Take a look at the other X99 boards ASRock offers then.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=2011-3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic