ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170M Extreme4 : undervolting limitations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote propergol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170M Extreme4 : undervolting limitations
    Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 7:35am
Hi,
I don't kown if it is a hardware or bios limitation, but on my I3-6100T, I can't lower the offset CPU voltage more than -100mV.

My CPU is 100% stable with -100mV (idle, mid load, full load), 48h x 3 tests... : STABLE Tongue

This is my home server and I am trying to get as low as possible power.

Same for the RAM : currently the lowest aviaable voltage is 1.2V, but I am pretty sure that my RAM can runs 1.1V maybe 1.0V.

I would love to see next bios allowing wider range of voltage control, but again I don't know if it is or not a hardware limitation.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 2:19pm
Do you have all the CPU power saving options enabled? SpeedStep in OC Tweaker? All the C States in the Advanced -> CPU Configuration screen? Set them to Enabled, Auto is not necessarily Enabled.

Try downloading and installing this program from Intel, their Extreme Tuning Utility, which is mainly designed for over clocking:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

The over clocking features may be unavailable, but there is an offset voltage adjustment that allows far more than -100mV. This only works in Windows, but you can save any changes to the CPU voltage, etc, in a profile, which you can load and apply quickly anytime. Or even pair the profile with software. Run the software and the profile will be applied automatically.

Did you ever experiment with a low manual voltage? It may not seem to change when the CPU is at idle, but if you are monitoring the VID (most programs display the VID) the actual VCore may be much lower.

Given what I have seen, Haswell processors may use less power than Skylake. Haswell VCore would go to zero volts, I don't see that with Skylake. That might be caused by a difference in their architecture that the monitoring programs cannot detect.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic