ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z87 Extreme6 sli not being detected

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdtv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z87 Extreme6 sli not being detected
    Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 8:09am
So windows see's both cards( 970 sc's) but not matter what I've tried sli option won't show up in the nvidia control panel where it's supposed to be.

Updated latest bios and driver(totally cleaned and selected clean install too) and still nothing.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 1:50pm
You start with NO video driver installed. If Windows update is giving you automatic driver updates, remove the network cable from the PC to avoid automatic driver installation.

Uninstalling any installed driver by the usual method may not be enough. After running the usual driver uninstallation program, go the the C: drive and check the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders for any NVIDIA folders. Delete any and all NVIDIA folders you find.

What OS are you using, and what version?

I assume you are using slots PCIE2 and PCIE3, the only two slots that will allow SLI to work.

Do you have a good SLI connector? One comes with your board.

The cable to the monitor is connected to the card in the PCIE2 slot. Are you using a DisplayPort or HMDI connection? Are you using any cable adapters, like DVI to HDMI?

With no drivers installed, restart the PC once and shut it down. Remove power and clear the CMOS/BIOS.

If you don't have both cards installed, do that now. If both card are installed, check the installation. Make sure both cards are firmly in their slots, and not moved out of place when you tighten the screws that hold them to the case. Check the SLI cable connection.

Start the PC and to into the BIOS. Select PCIe as the video source, not the onboard graphics. Set any BIOS options you use. Save and exit and boot into Windows.

Check Device Manager for both cards. Have the driver ready for installation. The newest driver or Beta driver is NOT a good choice, use a version that is a little older that is known to be good.

Install the driver and watch during the installation that all is good. Restart the PC when the driver installation is done.

Start the Nvidia Control Panel. Select Set SLI and Physix configuration on the left side of the display. Select Maximize 3D Performance and click Apply. Reboot the PC.
hdtv00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdtv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 3:57pm
Yea I used Driver remover app from guru3d. ALso yes deleted any nvidea folders I could find.

Yes slots 2 and 3 as you point out only two that would even allow the bridge to connect due to spacing really.

Yea I'm using the bridge that came with the board.

OS win 8.1 64 bit.

Yep cable/cables connected to one in slot 2. Using hdmi and display port, although I've tried it alone with display port only.

So bout the only ting I haven't done is clear the cmon for bios.
hdtv00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdtv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 6:42am
Another thing whos the idiot at AsRock who makes a board that thinks its ok for usb keyboards to not work when you go to reinstall an OS. I mean seriously it almost paperweights the entire board because who the hell has one of those old style keyboards...

The usb mouse and keyboard work for 1 sec, then stop, work for a second then stop lasts about 30 seconds before completely stop working altogether.
hdtv00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdtv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:55am
Solved

Board doesn't allow something in the 4th pcie slot even if its not a video card. I had a hdtv tuner in it when I took it out sli shows up. It was preventing slot 3(the 2nd card) from running in 8x pcie.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic