ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why was BIOS v1.70 removed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x6phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why was BIOS v1.70 removed?
    Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 4:25am

For my motherboard:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming-ITXac/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

If you navigate anyone of the links and edit the version to 1.70

ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/1151/Z170%20Gaming-ITXac(1.80)ROM.zip

to 

ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/1151/Z170%20Gaming-ITXac(1.70)ROM.zip

It works. Any reason it was removed? To remove SkyOC function? That was never part of the release notes (unlike other Z170 motherboards).
Intel i7 6700k
AsRock Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 7:10am
Intel threw a fit and either has or is in the process of forcing all motherboard manufacturers into removing the Non-K overclocking functionality.

Sorry to say but due to Intels actions concerning this ASRocks Sky OC will likely be removed from all BIOS releases here forward.

http://click.intel.com/customer-service

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/company-overview/contact-us.html

EDIT. It should be noted that I am NOT an ASRock Employee. This comment is mine and mine alone and as such does not represent ASRocks position concerning this matter in any way shape or form.

Edited by wardog - 06 Feb 2016 at 7:25am
x6phenom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x6phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:34am
Yea perhaps, but I dont think the Gaming-ITX was ever a candidate for the SkyOC feature. Never saw it in any of the logs, unlike other Z170 BIOS lists. I sent a query to AsRock support too, will see why this is so.
Intel i7 6700k
AsRock Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 10:19am
Originally posted by x6phenom x6phenom wrote:

Yea perhaps, but I dont think the Gaming-ITX was ever a candidate for the SkyOC feature. Never saw it in any of the logs, unlike other Z170 BIOS lists. I sent a query to AsRock support too, will see why this is so.

You're right. I don't see a Sky OC BIOS listed.

Now knowing that, again me bad and went on assumption w/1st reply, when a manufacturer pulls a BIOS release it is not without good cause. They were most likely informed by Users that pointed out a bug in one hardware configuration or another, and hence the reason it was pulled.

NOTE It is the Chinese New Year there so don't expect a reply until after the celebration is finished.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 1:17pm
Do you recall what UEFI version 1.70's description was?

Occasionally UEFI versions get removed due to issues noticed after the release.

You may not be seeing Sky OC UEFI/BIOS versions being listed anymore. Check for gaps in other Z170 boards, like the Z170 Extreme7+.

Think about it.
Montoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Montoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 1:32am
The primary reason 1.70 was pulled back, because there was a bug with the fancontrol in UEFI. This bug effected some other mainboards too with fancontrol !!

I updated to 1.70 and the settings for chassisfan1 weren't saved the correct way anymore in UEFI so chassisfan1 went full throttle (with every setting !!!) after reboot and stayed that way, until F-Stream Tuning Utility overrided that, after logging into Windows Wacko

1.80 fixed that fancontrol bug.
Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac, Intel i5-6500, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Fractal Design Core 500, Win10 Pro X64
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 4:51am
Montoya, I gave you a Thanks for posting that information.

It is much appreciated when Users here chime in with their knowledge and understanding.

Thank You,
wardog
Montoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:32pm
Thank you Wardog !

I can say the same about you and other mods, who spend a lot of private time in this forum :-)
Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac, Intel i5-6500, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Fractal Design Core 500, Win10 Pro X64
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic