ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to prepare Z370 Taichi for Windows 11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to prepare Z370 Taichi for Windows 11
    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 11:13pm
Looking for the forum experts becasue frankly, I am lost in the woods on preparing my system for Windows 11.

My Z370 is running the latest firmware (4.2.0), and has an i7 8700K.

For W11, the system needs to boot in UEFI mode from a GPT disk and have TPM and secure boot enabled.
I am now trying to perform a clean install of W10 with the W11 prerequisites, just to make sure I'm ready when W11 arrives.

I have a single M.2 SSD.

Using another PC, I initialized the SSD in GPT. I created an windows install USB drive using the media creation tool. The USB drive is in FAT32 format.

I have been fiddling around with the firmware settings of the Z370, all relating to legacy/uefi/CSM.
Finally succeeded in booting from the windows install USB drive but the windows installer says it cannot install on a GPT drive.

Dumbfounded.

Can anyone provide a step-by-step instruction on how to boot in UEFI mode and install windows 10 on the GPT disk?

Thanks!

Lenster45A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenster45A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 8:14am
Len
marcv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 4:23pm
Thanks Len, that article explains things better than other articles I found so far.

The only challenge remaining is how to boot in UEFI mode.
In the CSM menu of the bios there are 3 items that I expect have to be set to "UEFI only":
- Launch PXE OpROM Policy
- Launch Storage OpROM Policy
- Launch Video OpROM Policy.

Is that correct? Are there any other settings I need to change to boot in UEFI mode?

Thanks,
Marc
Lenster45A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lenster45A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 1:46am
CSM should be disabled.

The USB drive has to be GPT.

When you use F11 to select the USB, you should see one entry for the USB drive that says UEFI.

If you us a tool like RUFUS to move a windows install ISO to a USB drive there is an option to set the partition scheme to GPT for UEFI.

All this is available on the web
Len
marcv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 12:25am
SOLVED!

I had temporarily installed an older video card, a GTX960.

When this card is installed, the option to enable/disable CSM is not shown. The firmware only shows the three individual items described in my earlier post.

Once I installed a more recent video card (GTX1060), the enable/disable CSM option was shown. Setting it to 'disabled' caused the three lower level options to disappear. The system then booted in UEFI mode correctly and I was able to install windows on the GPT SSD.

After everything ran well on the GTX1060, I re-installed the GTX960. The system booted to windows fine. However, output from the BIOS/UEFI did not show on the monitor anymore. So no boot time messages and no BIOS screens after pressing <del> during boot.

Dear ASrock developers; it would have been helpful if the 'CSM enable/disable' button was greyed out instead of not visible. Then at least I had known that disabling CSM was not possible for some reason.

Thanks Len for helping out!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic