ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock B450m 4 Sticks constant reboots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b450mFishOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock B450m 4 Sticks constant reboots
    Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 1:00am
Hi!

I tried to figure this out could not explain it. For past one and half year, my computer been running fine with all RAM slots filled it. It did take some time at the start to make it 'stable'. If I stick 2 RAMs into A2 and B2, its extremely stable.

Long story short, my machine recently started to act abnormally.

- random BSOD - leaving the machine on
- resume from sleep results the machine go into restart loop. It never leaves standby mode. Holding power button only makes it go to sleep

The thing is, it started to act after I blew compressed air into the box to clean it If this is true, how could it make the machine become unstable with 4 RAM stick and not with 2 RAM stick?

All RAM are the same. Yes, for 1.5 years, 4 RAM stick worked super stable. After I got my system to be stable for a day, I managed to run memory test. The result were all good.

Ryzen 5 1600
32 GB GSKill (8gbx4)
5700 XT
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 12:06am
maybe co-incidentlly ?
cpu memory controllers can degrade over time

your using a 1600 cpu which wasnt fantastic when new for running ram properly
allthough it was helped vastly with a few later bios revisions (to address insanely stupid auto timings the bios was setting for ram secondary timings)

without more info its a bit tricky to help you with suggestions

e.g.
exactly what b450 board model
exactly what bios version
exactly which 1600 cpu the ealry verion or the later AF version
and exactly what gskill ram kit (and what speed timings your trying for)

all the above is quite vital to assist you with advice
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:51am
The important key here is your system was fine until you used compressed air. I would remove all sticks of RAM, use some rubbing alcohol and cotton ball, and clean the contacts. Then use some more compressed air on each slot to be sure it is clean. Reinsert the memory and try again.

If the problem persists, you may have one stick that is failing. Consult your manual and try running the machine on a single stick. If one is bad, you will find the defective stick pretty quickly using that approach.

If all the sticks pass, then it might be that one slot has just gone bad, or something else got hammered when you originally used the compressed air. My bet is a dirty slot or a defective stick.

b450mFishOwner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b450mFishOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 4:52am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

maybe co-incidentlly ?
cpu memory controllers can degrade over time

your using a 1600 cpu which wasnt fantastic when new for running ram properly
allthough it was helped vastly with a few later bios revisions (to address insanely stupid auto timings the bios was setting for ram secondary timings)

without more info its a bit tricky to help you with suggestions

e.g.
exactly what b450 board model
exactly what bios version
exactly which 1600 cpu the ealry verion or the later AF version
and exactly what gskill ram kit (and what speed timings your trying for)

all the above is quite vital to assist you with advice

I agree. I've read 1600 to be not the best processor for fast RAM due to 'bad memory controller'.

exactly what b450 board model => B450M PRO4
exactly what bios version => 3.00
exactly which 1600 cpu => It is the non AF version. Sucks I got it too early on.
and exactly what gskill ram kit (and what speed timings your trying for) => G.Skill F4-3200C16D 8gb - got 4x of these

Since making the post, I've been running the machine with 2 slots in A2/B2 No problem at all and I don't expect any problem at all.

The problem is nothing to do with RAM stick either. If I replace the one that are installed with one lying around, it will work.

I just find it frustrating that how can it work without a problem for 1.5 years and after 'cleaning it', it is back to being unstable. I can't say my CPU is bad because then, I would be getting BSOD with 2 RAM sticks. I can't say problem with mobo because then I would have bSOD with 2 installed.

Its just configuration of 4XRAM and this CPU that makes it BSOD/reboot loop.

b450mFishOwner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b450mFishOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 5:02am
Originally posted by Khun_Doug Khun_Doug wrote:

The important key here is your system was fine until you used compressed air. I would remove all sticks of RAM, use some rubbing alcohol and cotton ball, and clean the contacts. Then use some more compressed air on each slot to be sure it is clean. Reinsert the memory and try again.

If the problem persists, you may have one stick that is failing. Consult your manual and try running the machine on a single stick. If one is bad, you will find the defective stick pretty quickly using that approach.

If all the sticks pass, then it might be that one slot has just gone bad, or something else got hammered when you originally used the compressed air. My bet is a dirty slot or a defective stick.

The thing is the RAM were not removed when compressed air was used to clean up the contacts. I removed the RAM after the machine started to act up. Not sure how can dust get in between the motherboard and RAM contacts.

Taking out all the RAM and wiping them off with rubbing alcohol is worth a shot.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:14am
my wife has the b450m pro4

it is on bios 3.9 which seems to work fine for everything it is supposed to
her cpu is also a 1600 but it is the af version

i stillmaintain an early 1600 with an early bios
has a small chance in hell to run 4 sticks at 3200mhz
you 'was' extremely lucky ,the cpu memory controller struggled to run that 4 stick kit at 3200 and now wont (maybe it cold booted and reset the ram ages ago to 2133 jedec and you didnt notice ?)
who really knows

to identify faulty ram slots reset bios and try all 4 sticks at stock (2133) if it boots and see's all 4 its not a faulty slot
try upping the speed to 2666 and see if its stable then

but ryzen 1600ae and 4 sticks at 3200mhz is a miracle
your ram (gskill 3200 cl16) dosnt have the samsung b dies (as its c16) so you will struggle
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic